We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acronis 2013 out now at a discount

Muergo

Likes # 0

After trying to flog their 2012 True Image at a knockdown price Acronis has now launched the 2013 version at a big discount even before Amazon has listed it.

I still feel it's the best, foolproof backup system, I'm still running 2010 but feel inclined to upgrade now.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I have just upgraded today - £23.95.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Tell more, is it much of an improvement, easier to understand for an old fart like me! Like the existing version I just want to set it up and leave it running just in case, but over ten years or more I have never had a cataclysmic failure needing backup other than a Go Back for a couple of days, but having said that something might happen.

I must clear out my external hard drive that I use for Acronis, it has nearly filled up a Terabyte, but there must be lots of duplication.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I upgraded from 2012 to 2013 so not a lot of difference, except that mainly one can restore a full backup to a different PC than the original if required. I'm an old fart too, I find it very easy to use.

I always make Full backups, and after each backup I delete the oldest one from my external hard drive, so that I always have no more than two full backups saved.

I like the 'peace-of-mind' ........

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I had Acronis a few years back, but could never really figure what it did that Win 7 backup couldn't.

I got rid of it.

I backup to an external HDD once a week and, once a month I simply copy my "C" drive to an identical internal drive. Worst case scenario, I just swap SATA leads and reboot. Simples!

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Well ams4127, your description of what you do is precisely why I need Acronis, I forget when and what to back up, I agree that back in 2006 and earlier the program was difficult to figure out but since about 2009 edition it became more user friendly and what I like is the continuous backup so I never have to think.

I bought a Terrorbite! of external HD to cope with the volume but as I said I must now clear it out.

Your backup to another internal drive is a bit risky I think as my stand alone drive would not go down with the main computer. I know some people backup onto a different partition of the same internal drive but that is really chancing it, especially now the price of hard drives has come down so much excepting the Tsunami price glitch after the floods in Samsung ? plant.

The other thing to bear in mind is the recent reports highlighting the short life of solid state memory, so I shall be sticking to the disc and laser system.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I also have just upgraded and one of the attractions for me with Acronis is the ability to mount the image and access individual files if necessary. The main attraction, however, is that I actually find it more reliable than system restore!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Why BlackBerry isn't dead: Firm keeps Mercedes F1 team driving with enterprise package

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...