We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New 250gb Hdd Shows as 40gb

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi, Bought a new Western Digital Sata HDD which I got today. New in anti static bag and labelled WD2500AABS, says on it 250gb. When I put it in my PC it shows as 40gb. Thinking this may be an error I booted from Win XP CD to load OS and it said 38.xx gb. I have contacted the seller by Email but thought I may get faster and more reliable info from here. I can of course return it but do not want to if it is me doing something wrong.

Ray

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

what does windows disc manager show the size of the drive to be? Acronis Disc Director would see the full drive and would let you set it up so it could be seen

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thank you for the reply Woodchip. I do not recall trying it in disk management, if I had and it said anything other than 40gb I would have posted the info. Surely I should not need Acronis to show the size of a drive although I do appreciate your attempt to help. I have now returned it as the seller E-mailed me with an a prepaid returns label but did not ask for any information other than the serial number. The item was described as New but further into the description it says "Re-certified product" whatever that means, can anyone clarify please. Will see what happens.

Ray

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

"Re-certified product" whatever that means

Its refurbished/repaired.

There was a problem with it originally, then it was sent back to be fixed now their selling it again.

You usually get discounts on those sorts of things, but usually tend to have more problems with it

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

So it is not new?

Ray

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

So it is not new?

Unlikely.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features