We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New 250gb Hdd Shows as 40gb

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi, Bought a new Western Digital Sata HDD which I got today. New in anti static bag and labelled WD2500AABS, says on it 250gb. When I put it in my PC it shows as 40gb. Thinking this may be an error I booted from Win XP CD to load OS and it said 38.xx gb. I have contacted the seller by Email but thought I may get faster and more reliable info from here. I can of course return it but do not want to if it is me doing something wrong.

Ray

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

That model definitely shows as a 250GB see here

What version of XP? if you do not have SP3 you may not have support for large drives.

In Windows, click on Start->Run, enter "regedit".

Navigate to the HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters registry subkey.

From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.

Enter the name EnableBigLba, then press Enter.

Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.

Close the registry editor.

Restart the machine for the change to take effect.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruitbat, I bought this as a replacemement for my 320 which failed. In the interim period I used an old IDE 80 just to get it up and working installed only the basics from the XP CD but not SP3 as I did not think it neccessary, I was waiting for the new drive. I will instal SP3 as soon as I can, other PC (the one I want to put it in) is busy on something else right now which I can`t interupt, will post back as soon as able, hope you are right.

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Can someone give me a link please to download service pack 3 without going round and round in circles and trying to download something else or stopping 90% through it after taking 15mins or not working at all or bringing up a Comodo quarantine message even though I have set it as disabled.

Ray

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks iscanut, Your link was helpful I did manage to start a download but it is saying 40mins to complete which is ridiculous for a 545mb download not your fault I know. I will have to wait and see if it works, at least it seems to be the right thing instead of a load of crap that I did not want.

Ra

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

fruitbat, I have changed the registry entries as your suggestions and will try that after the stupidly slow download mentioned in my last post.

Ray

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Could be XP but could be a Motherboard BIOS problem

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Also you may not be able to Use the Drive as is. If the One being Sata 2 is being replaced by a Sata 3

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks to all, I have installed sp3 and edited the registry as suggested. Reconnected the drive and it still shows in bios as 40gb. If I try to load windows on it from the XP disk it says 38.something on partition I have not partitioned this or formatted it just took it out of the antistatic bag having earthed myself first.

The drive is sata 2

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Mother board is Hewlett Packard 09F8h if that means anything

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites