We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tablet question - before I purchase

AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Hi Readers,

I'm very interested in getting a Tablet. Galaxy Tab 8.9 specifically. Although I've searched, I've yet to find definitive answers to the following::

a) Can one watch BBC iPlayer and ITV Player on tablets? b) All of these tablets, iPads included, have very little storage - I have a Seagate portable HDD - could I use this to transfer files from the Tablet?? I dare not purchase online, only to find none of the above are possible as the sellers would not refund.

Thanks in advance,

AngeTheHippy x

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

a) Yes with an app. ITV Player and Iplayer

b) Not with an iPad and it depends on the connections with others. I haven't found storage to be a snag on my 32Gb iPad. You don't carry everything that is on a desktop/laptop.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Should add that they may not provide sufficient power to drive an external hd but depends on tablet.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

It would not matter if you purchased online and then found the tablet was not what you wanted as you would be covered by the Distance Selling Regulations (DSR's) and have a cooling off period of 7 days to inform the seller that you will be returning the item. You would of course have to pay the postage.

Google Distance Selling Regulations for more info.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

But surely you can't try it out first and then send it back under the DSR's?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

lotvic

You can return an item within 7 days of the date of purchase without giving a reason, provided the item is in its original packaging, and provided it is 'as new'.

That doesn't apply to computer software if the pack has been opened.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You can buy various adapters for the iPad - even a connector for your electric guitar if you fancy a bit of practice on the bus to work.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

It does not have to be returned within 7 days but you have to inform the seller that you are going to return it within 7 days. As I do most of my shopping online I have on many occasion returned goods. In fact I returned a motherboard just this week for no other reason than I bought it in error, I need a M-itx not the M-atx I bought.

I have also returned laptops that I bought and found that they were not suitable. I am always careful with packaging so I do not have a problem there.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 1

I have the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and can use BBC iPlayer and ITV player on it via the apps suggested by Woolwell.

My Tab is only 16Gb but I have not found this to be a limitation for two reasons - first I have a 64Gb USB stick which with an adapter can be plugged into the tablet and secondly by using Allshare I can network the tablet to my desktop and play all the music, video and picture content that is on it.

I doubt that you can attach a portable HDD to the USB adapter because of power limitations.

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Thank you all so much for your help and advice with this! Thanks F.E. for your input too. I WON'T get an iPad, I personally think all things Apple are far too expensive, and don't like how Apple tend to *lock down their equipment. Can I ask you chub_tor, are you happy with your Galaxy 10.1?? What's the screen like? Would you say it's a better size to use than the 8.9? Ange xx*

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I WON'T get an iPad,"

Obviously it's a matter for you to decide. In my opinion the iPad beats all other tablets by miles. I wouldn't want to be without mine, it goes everywhere with me, and is without a doubt the best mobile device I've ever used.

They are expensive, but it shows in the sheer quality of the product.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by Apple locking down their equipment.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features