We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best Win7 Email Client

Procrastinus
Resolved

Likes # 0

Having installed Thunderbird in a Win7 machine, I cannot find a way of copying address books over via a USB stick from another XP machine (Outlook Express). This seems to be a failing with Thunderbird. What do you recommend as an free e-mail client for Win7 to which one can easily import OE address books?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

They key word is "easily". You can export your address book and import into contacts on Windows Live Mail. But not sure about easily. I've done it recently.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I have had so much trouble with Windows Live Mail concerning lost files and storage, I have for ages used Thunderbird as a secondary backup system and all the contacts came over easily from my old Outlook Express I had on the old computer running XP.

I now have been bombarded with messages telling me I should move to "Outlook" the latest system from Microsoft, Maybe 608 might want to skip a generation and move from Outlook Express to Outlook directly and avoid the leaky cloud in Live Mail.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I like Pegasus I had bothers with Thunderbird and Turnpike and have been using Pegasus for several years now.

Like this post
Procrastinus

Likes # 0

Thanks all for your inputs.
Finally I installed Windows Live Mail. I was reluctant after adverse comments - but in the end it seems not so bad; time will tell, certainly the transfer was easy. It does seem that Thunderbird have missed a great opportunity to trump after Win7 was released without an inbuilt e-mail client. I tried for ages and just could not get a decent hand-over from OE - just me, I suppose!

Like this post  
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi

I haven't used OE for a good many years so can't remember how I transfered contacts to Thunderbird, but I did.

However, an alternative is to export your contacts from OE as csv file, then import into Thunderbird which will import csv files.

I realise this is probably too late for you now but maybe someone else will be glad of knowing ways to migrate from OE to Tb

I'm interested to hear you find Windows Live Mail ok, though. I've never tried it but always good to know what else is worth trying. Might also look into Pegasus (thx wiz-king)

Cheers

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I find Office Outlook good. Managed to get a free version installed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK