We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How much is my PC worth?

Robinator

Likes # 0

Hi, I'm new here. I was only wondering how much my PC is worth becasue I want to buy a Laptop for school.

My spec's : Motherboard : Asus P8Z77-V LX OS : Windows 7 64 bit Processor : Intel core i5 3570k CPU @ 3.40 Ghz (4 CPU'S) Memory : 8Gb (Upgradeable to 32Gb) Direct X11 GPU : NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GS

Thanks in advance! Also, What are some good cheap FAST laptops? Thanks again, Robin :)

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Less that half of what you hoped for, is possibly the simplest answer.

Try looking for similar machines on eBay but remember that you are not providing any kind of warranty.

The first, and biggest, problem is to find a potential buyer

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Not as much as you would like but I do need a bit more info. Are you only selling these parts? If not please answer the questions below.

Make/model of memory(RAM?

Make and wattage of power supply?

Size of hard-drive?

What about the case?

Of course it would be easier if you just posted make model of PC?

Like this post
Robinator

Likes # 0

I could sell the parts or the computer individually, It doesn't matter ;). Also here are the other specs RAM : 2x4gb 1337mhZ DDR3

I don't know how to check the power supply wattage sorry :(

Hard drive 250gb

Case, http://www.amazon.co.uk/DESKTOP-COMPUTER-Galaxy-Bubble-Windows/dp/B005IDO352/ref=sr122?ie=UTF8&qid=1346340586&sr=8-22

Yeah, I can't post the model number of the PC because you know, Its ben built from scratch! :)

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The PSU you can check simply by taking the left side panel(as you look at it) you will find a label with make and wattage.

The ram I really need the make.But I'll guess it.

RAM = £20

CPU = £150

Mobo = £50-60 depending on whether you have all the bits it came with and boxed.

GPU = £5-£10

Case = Not really worth anything but you could possible get a tenner dependent on condition.

HDD = £20-£25

I am assuming Windows 7 operating system you could get around £65 perhaps.

These prices are not set in stone you could get a little more and you could get less. Unfortunately PC components rapidly drop in price, I know I build my own then sell the bits on a year or two later and do not get anything like what I paid for them.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

A computer is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, which is why I never provide valuations in the forum - you simply can't put prices on second-hand components with any degree of certainty.

A self-build machine will in general sell for less than one from a well-known maker, and for that reason you should sell the components separately. Run a search for each one on Ebay, and see what you can find in terms of price.

"....good cheap FAST laptops?"

The words 'good' and 'cheap' are often mutually exclusive,and what's cheap now isn't necessarily cheap at all if you have to replace it after a short period of use.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

could you offer a guarantee if parts don't function. probably no therefore logically you wouldn't get much for it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?