We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

hyperactive printer when switched on

Number six
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just bought a new Canon iP4950 printer. When first switched on, there follows about three minutes of whirrs, clicks, motors spinning, and other assorted noises, before the machine is ready to print. Is this normal behaviour or is there likely to be something wrong? Some kind of maintainance routine? My old HP machine would be ready to use in about 15 seconds.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

Number six,

Could well be a head cleaning routine to prepare the printer for printing.

Some people leave their inkjet printers switched on all the time to reduce the occurrence of this cleaning activity as it can use quite a lot of ink.

Peter.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

3 minutes seems a bit long otherwise it sounds normal.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I set-up a new Canon printer for a friend, it did take several minutes of whirring and clicking, so I guess this is normal for that printer. I always use Epson!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If the printer is switched off, then switched back on at a later time, it would seem to be going through a maintenance routine on start-up.

You could try any or all of the following: (1)Recheck the instruction manual for help. (2) Re-install the drivers, including updates (3) Contact Canon Support for advice.

Consider that if it is going through a ink cleaning process every time on start-up, then this is going to cost unnecessary expense?.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

I think this goes with the Marque. By coincidence I bought a cheapo wireless Epson at about the time that a clueless friend bought a Canon. Mine behaved straight from the box, his made all sorts of busy noises but wouldn't actually print anything!

I managed to sort him out. It was the initial configuration, he had not selected back tray as the paper source.

Every time we struggled to have things up and running there was prolonged and furious activity.

I could have spent a long time with him, he still has drivers galore for his defunct Epson, but I know him of old, his span of enthusiasm doesn't last long and will only get me into deep water if I step outside my task.

I works but it does make a fuss. (Nice prints though)

Like this post  
Number six

Likes # 0

So it would seem that the machine by default goes through a head cleaning process at every switch on. I have the latest driver and can find nothing in the manual about disabling this action, so just something I will have to live with, I guess. It certainly does produce excellent prints, however, so I am quite pleased with the results.

Maybe just a way for Canon to sell more ink - configure their machines to constantly cleanups and waste ink!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...