We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Java - is it essential?

jonem81

Likes # 0

I am interested in a recent article stating that Java is not necessary. Should I uninstall whatever Java I have....some problem with security? Is it needed for smooth video playback? Also, I don't use iTunes.

jonem81

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

Is your query based on The Register's report on browser security being vulnerable using Java? This only applies to version 7, (1.7), version 6 is said to be OK.

To be safe as Java looks to overcome the threat then disable the Java plug in in your browser. Not sure how to disable? Then follow instructions from How To Disable Java on Everything.

Is Java necessary? Certain websites will not open if Java is not installed. Some software may not work. That's the answer generally given without anything specific. I installed Java because BTYahoo denied me access to My Account without it. Have never experienced other than this before.

Nevertheless, have disabled my Java6 plug in in Chrome just in case. It can soon be activated rather than go to the bother of removing the program entirely.

Like this post
jonem81

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jonem81

Like this post
jonem81

Likes # 0

Bapou

Yes, in a way. I saw something on the HowtoGeek.com website where it was suggesting that Java could cause virus problems, etc. I panicked thinking that my PC would be infected, hence my post to PCAdvisor website forum. I think I have auto-updates, but not sure. So Java 6 is OK? Thanks for your reply,

jonem81

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Java can be a source of getting a Virus, can be turned of in Browsers. But some sites will not work if its not turned on

Like this post
jonem81

Likes # 0

woodchip

Thanks, woodchip , I think I'll keep it!

jonem81

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I think the BBC site uses it, and I use the BBC a lot so I have to have it, I like the logo as well!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

One of the benefits of using Firefox is that it is very easy to disable all of the add-ons, including Java, then re-enable them if a program calls for it. That way you soon find out what is necessary or not.

My list of add-ons has dropped from about 20 to 5 and amongst those remaining is - Java!

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

Java's security problem has now been resolved and the upgrade for this is available from the Java SE Downloads website

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added