We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer is unexpectedly shutting down

Yimbo

Likes # 0

I'm putting together a video presentation, but during the compiling process, my computer suddenly shuts down. It goes on to restart, but I have lost the progress thus far made with the presentation, and I have to begin all over again. Then, while doing that, once more everything shuts down, and I'm back to square one.

I was doing similar work yesterday with no problems.

I'm using XP Home (SP3).

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

WE need to see if there is an error message or if its shutting down through overheat,

Overheat check all grills are clear and fans running OK, take cover off and see how dirty its is inside especially round the cpu heat-sink and fan.

Error message

Auto-reboot disable: When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, often it will restart too fast for you to see the error message. To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
  2. Go to Advanced
  3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
  4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"
Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat/\O/\ - - I think it's probably over-heating, as you've suggested. I looked at the front grill of my case and there was a lot of dust colllected, which surely was blocking things up! I've taken the Vacuum to the outside - but not ventured to the inside, not wanting to damage something! I'll see if my cleaning thus far has made a difference.

There was no "error message" or blue screen - just an immediate shut-down followed by a normal restart.

Thanks again for your help! I'll let you know how I get on!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I looked at the front grill of my case and there was a lot of dust collected, which surely was blocking things up! I've taken the Vacuum to the outside - but not ventured to the inside,

You will need to venture in as I can guarantee you will have plenty of dust inside particularly round the CPU fan and the graphics card. A soft paint brush and the hoover will work wonders and you are not going to hurt/damage anything.

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

You will need to venture in - - -

Thanks Chronus - - I've had the front fascia panel off - but then I'm confronted by an aluminium plate affixed by several screws, and a couple of quite large black objects (no idea what theese are) which look as though they're just plugged in. Would it be OK to remove these and the screwed on plate? Is this how you get access to the fan etc - - or are the side panels also removable?

I really don't want to make matters worse by some ham-fisted action!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Put the front back on

to remove the side panel (left as you face it)remove the three or four screws at the rear and slide the panel backward.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Take the side panel off.... not the front

Like this post
FRANKMAC

Likes # 0

Hi

Lots of great advice above, but if all else fails it could well be your Power Supply Unit. I had similar problems a few months ago..... after hours / days & weeks of frustration, i found somewhere on the WWW to try PSU..... and sure thing that was the problem, running as sweet as a nut now. :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen