We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP Compaq how can I access BIOS?

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello, How can I access BIOS on HP compaq dc 7600 SFF. I have no manual and have tried usual things like Del or Tab and some F keys.

Ray

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Pressing F1 during startup should take you to the BIOS.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think it's this ClickHere guide to bios settings

The HP Computer Setup Utility, or F10 Setup, allows making changes to the system BIOS

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Why do you want to enter the BIOS? I usually leave mine well alone unless I have a major snag.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi and thanks for the quick replies. F1 does not work it just carries on booting. I am still reading Lotvics link. The reason I want to access Bios is to change boot order of hard drives.

Ray

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If it's a temporary change then this bit sounds useful:

Short cut to Temporary Override Boot Order

To boot one time from a device other than the default device specified in Boot Order, restart the computer and press F9 when the F10 = Setup message appears on the screen. When POST is completed, a list of bootable devices is displayed. Use the arrow keys to select a device and press the Enter key.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

If I press F9 it gives me a choice of. CD-ROM USB Hard Drive MBA

No option to choose the other HD.

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

One drive is IDE with XP on. The other is SATA with Win 7. If I connect SATA I get error File missing ntoskrnl.exe please reinstall a copy.

Ray

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"No option to choose the other HD"

You need to give more details on that... Is it an internal sata, ide, or a usb ext HD? and what Operating systems are involved?

I would have thought you needed a Boot Manager to enable you to choose which HD to boot from? (I'm not very knowledgeable at setting that up but sounds like you're wanting a dual boot situation?)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

We cross posted :)

Still, better wait for someone else who has better knowledge of this than I do.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think you will get more helpers if you start a new thread about Dual Booting and give the full info regarding what you have and if 32bit and/or 64bit etc.

This thread 'access BIOS' has been answered.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?