We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hungy laptop eats disc enigma.

Nontek
Resolved

Likes # 0

I put a games disc into laptop drive in normal way, waited and waited but nothing happened. I checked in My Computer, no sign of disc just the empty drive icon!

I then opened disc tray and found it was empty? No sign of disc anywhere, so it must still be inside laptop - strange thing is, everything else is working as normal, including opening/closing disc tray and inserting another disc which ran as expected.

Disconnected laptop picked it up, opened tray, shook gently - no rattling or any sign of the presence of games disc. I cannot understand it, I would not have thought a disc could just disappear like that?

The laptop is a nearly new high-spec from Novatech, so I shall have to ask them tomorrow.

My question is, is there room inside a laptop for this to happen??

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

It may have stuck on the spindle, open tray and use a thin mirror to look in and upwards to see if you can find the disc. If you can see it then try to dislodge it with a thin plastic knitting needle or similar. Be careful not to cause any damage if the heads are not in the parked position.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hi wiz-king, the spindle is within the tray which slides out? I have had a very close look, using a torch to see inside, but no sign of disc.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

At first I laughed as thought it 'impossible' but apparently it's not.... the invisible one must be stuck/wedged 'up' inside. Try inserting a thin card - like a train ticket - at an angle to dislodge it and make it drop down back into the tray so that when you press eject key it is back on the tray and comes out. Apparently repair shops have a sort of surgical grabber to get it out.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

lotvic

I tried a sheet of thick photo-paper, no luck. Had another look with torch, just no sign of disc.

I guess I will have to take it to Novatech, I live about five miles from them, but as my only form of transport is my mobility scooter, I shall have to get a friend to take me there. I am hoping they can do it while I wait.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Very strange, I even looked under the laptop and on the floor in case I was going mad - the disc has simply disappeared!

Yet everything else is working perfectly.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Be prepared to look a plonker if it's really not in there.... When you looked inside could you see the proper innards of the drive and be sure it's not a reflection from the shiny side of cd (depends on which way the tray holds them)?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Tray holds the discs Working side Down on spindle. I am so prepared - but it has GOT to be in there!

Like this post
badhair1963

Likes # 0

Close the lid of the laptop then hold it on something firm, front-edge down, and give the lid a tap. That should dislodge anything stuck in the drive.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

badhair1963

Thanks for your suggestion, but nothing appears to be stuck in drive - when open the drive workings/innards are visible. The disc is somewhere inside laptop but just refuses to surrender to my probing!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I have a number of laptop drives on my shelf. Looked at them all and there is no slot that a disk could slip through. So, it's either in there or you have ghosts!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK