We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hungy laptop eats disc enigma.

Nontek
Resolved

Likes # 0

I put a games disc into laptop drive in normal way, waited and waited but nothing happened. I checked in My Computer, no sign of disc just the empty drive icon!

I then opened disc tray and found it was empty? No sign of disc anywhere, so it must still be inside laptop - strange thing is, everything else is working as normal, including opening/closing disc tray and inserting another disc which ran as expected.

Disconnected laptop picked it up, opened tray, shook gently - no rattling or any sign of the presence of games disc. I cannot understand it, I would not have thought a disc could just disappear like that?

The laptop is a nearly new high-spec from Novatech, so I shall have to ask them tomorrow.

My question is, is there room inside a laptop for this to happen??

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

onthelimit

That's what I thought too - anyway, I have contacted Novatech this morning and will be taking laptop in to them to sort out the mystery of the disappearing disc!

Will report back later today.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Just got back from visiting Novatech - at first the young guy there thought I was joking, he looked at laptop/tray movement and could see nothing wrong, he took it to back-room boys and came back a few minutes later holding regurgitated disc aloft - eureka, so I am not going mad after all!

The disc had somehow managed to squeeze itself between an internal parts cover and the upper part of the innards, so it was well and truly hidden. A total fluke which they had never previously previously heard of.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

Phew, so it was there, a rum do, that was :) glad it's sorted, hope the disc still ok and not scratched.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yes, the disc is fine thanks, still working OK.

Cheers.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Have you looked UNDER the tray?

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

now that you got the disc, how do u prevent it from happening again.

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Have you looked UNDER the tray?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

finerty

Hi, how do I prevent it happening again .... by being extremely careful, or simply by being aware!

It was total fluke.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...