We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poweline exender - prob

copast

Likes # 0

Hi all - I have a sky router that doesnt get the wireless signal far enough in my house so have connected a tp link powerline - managed to get the wireless signal from tp link in far away room, but every time I connect the ethernet to anything from it (it is a 281 which can give out wireless and wired connection - the internet 'home' light goes out - amd I lose internet connection, any ideas? thanks Steve

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

I have a Dlink powerline setup and had similar problems until I went into the setup program and set everything up in that. The powerline system was trying to use the same IP address as my main router.

Like this post
copast

Likes # 0

Hi many thks - tried to change ip address and still have this prob. In fact later on in the day the wireless dropped out too!! Any ideas much apprec - found out now even the downstairs are on 2 sep fuseboards which splits grd floor in half. Are there any routers/powerlines out there to cope with thisas sky router only goes 5-10m max - can leave them if necess? We have wide house over 18m side to side. thks steve

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

if the 2 fuseboards end up at the same meter then this is not a problem. I have set up a powerline system for my sister who lives in an old farmhouse with very thick walls and a modern extension on the back. The main router is in the old part and no signal was getting through to the back. She has 2 fuseboards like you and I got the powerline working. I had to go into the settings of the powerline adaptor that plugs into the main router and stop it trying to be the main router and make it a secondary. The hardest part of the job was getting into the powerline settings.

Like this post
copast

Likes # 0

Ok great thks - any idea re settings? Can get into wireless unit re ethernet to laptop and get settings and suppose I can do it through one that connects to router bt do you know what seetings need changing? chrs

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

without that system in front of me it is very difficult - I remember that I had to set its ip address to one in the range of the main router eg main router 192.168.1.1 powerline 192.168.1.50 - this is to clear the ip addresses of all other things plugged into the system such as ipad, pc's etc. Also look for a setting that tells this system not to act as a dns server - maybe set the dns server to the ip address of the main router. Hope this helps.

Like this post
copast

Likes # 0

Will try it! Many thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia