We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Adding an old floppy drive to SATA M.B ?

Furkin

Likes # 0

ASUS M5A78L-M + Phenom II x 2 + 4gb ram + 500w PSU + Win7 32bit

I recently saw an external USB 3.5" Floppy drive advertised.

When I upgraded my original IDE machine to all SATA, I removed the Panasonic floppy drive – which I guess is PATA – and I still have it.

I was wondering if all I need to do, is attach a USB plug/lead to the existing outputs ?

The physical side of it (soldering/adapting the USB lead to the drive) should be easy enough, but I don’t know if it’s as simple as that, or if my kit will ‘take’ it at all.

If it is possible, does anyone out there have the time to feed me through the correct wiring connections etc please ?

cheers

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You may find this link of interest. Bare floppy enclosures are apparently a bit rare now, but perhaps a search may reveal a source. It may be possible to connect via a parallel printer port, again I'm not 100% certain.

Given that an external USB floppy drive costs around £10, it may not be cost effective to buy a bare enclosure.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Do you really need a floppy drive these days?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The physical side of it (soldering/adapting the USB lead to the drive) should be easy enough, but I don’t know if it’s as simple as that, or if my kit will ‘take’ it at all.

Being someone who dabbles a little bit in modding I think it would be something worth trying if only to see if you can get it to work.I have my doubts as I do not think that modern mobos come with a controller, floppies were always on a separate controller to other storage.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Thanks guys,

John: That site is great. I couldn't find the answer to my quest, but I'll be visiting there often,,,, for a giggle if nothing else. As in my OP, I already have the drive - that's why I was wondering about using / converting it.

I know that there are USB drives already out there (which brought me onto the subject) but again, as I already have the drive, I'd prefer to use it.

N61: "Need" ? nah,,,, it's not life threatening. I still have a drawer full of floppies (even 5.25"),,,,,, remember when we needed half a dozen, just to load Windows ? Mind you, I go back to Atari 800XL days (I still have it) which used cassette tapes to load programs.

There are a few cheesy little games that my Son used to play for hours. It'd be nice to 'look back'.

So,,, If I can utilise the parts to do so, it'd be great.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Hi again Chronus:

That's the side of things that I don't understand (if only that was all,,,).

As I say, my kit is all SATA, whereas the drive is IDE. I was rather hoping that attaching a USB plug / lead to it, thereby adapting the interface, might enable me to just plug it into a USB port.

Nothing that I attempt is ever that easy, but it dosn't put me off trying,,, until it's a total failure. If it can be done, I want to try. If it deffo can't, then I'll leave it alone.

PS: Can we buy bare USB plugs ? I can't seem to find any.

cheers

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Furkin Yes I remember the days of 5.25" and the cassette tapes. I had a Dragon 32 and a Commodore 64. You didn't just make a cuppa whilst it was loading, you went and did your weekly shopping!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Can we buy bare USB plugs ?

I shall make inquiries.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Or Ebay. Good find catpwss.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I very much doubt if wiring a bare floppy drive to a USB port would work as I suspect appropriate specific drivers are required.

BTW, to my knowledge, floppy drives were not IDE / PATA (or, at least, not standard IDE / PATA). Although they used flat ribbon cables that were, on first look, like normal IDE cables, they are not the same. Furthermore, the connection onto the mobo was separate from the main IDE /PATA connectors.

If I were you, I'd go for a fully fledged USB floppy (as I guess your current mobo doesn't have a floppy port).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'