We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have we got a Trojan Horse ?

B.J.

Likes # 0

A friend has recieved an email that we didn't send and my wife has the idea that we have been infected by a trojan horse virus.Whats the best FREE debug program for TROJANS? We have the Avast antivirus program but nothing flagged up on that. Help Please Folks. B.J.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Try this ,

when downloaded update definitions and do a full scan.You can leave it on your computer it does not affect other malware programs if you choose.

your friend possibly needs to do the same,if he did not open it delete it.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

There are an increasing number of e-mail accounts being hacked, particularly hotmail, yahoo and BT. Also your e-mail address may have been "spoofed" by the spammer and has not originated from your computer at all.

If you use an e-mail client such as Outlook, Windows Mail or Thunderbird, just check in sent messages for this particular e-mail. If you use web based mail log in and do the same. The chances are that you'll find nothing.

Has anyone else in your address book reported receiving this e-mail? If so and it is your online address book you're e-mail account has likely been hacked - change your password immediately.

Scanning with Malwarebytes is a good precaution and a full scan with Avast won't go amiss either.

Like this post
B.J.

Likes # 0

Thanks all. We've run an Avast full scan and a quick Malware scan and nothing has flagged up. We have had one or two friends hotmail accounts hacked recently so I think this is the most likely problem. Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Of course, a friends account being hacked would make your e-mail address available for spoofing. That's probably the cause.

Like this post
B.J.

Likes # 0

Just spoke to my friend and apparently, although the email said it was from me (it gave my name) the email address was not mine. So maybe it was a friends account that has been hacked?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that is more likely that the e-mail address/name has been harvested and the header is being spoofed and used for spam purposes. A change of passwords is recommended at your end and your friends as the spammers have obtained their e-mail address.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This should help to understand spam/spoofing

http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/tips/header.html How to read email headers see the tag called X-Originating-IP: this tag normally gives the real IP address of the sender

Email header: where the spam starts http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/tips/spam-header.html

The X-IP tag (also named X-Originating-IP) is probably the most important one and it should give precise information about the sender (from where the email was actually sent). Unfortunately, this tag is optional for email protocols, so some spam messages will not include it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more