We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Looking for a high-end computer.

GlassParasol
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello there,

I’ve been searching for a computer that is up to doing the job for running high-end games, running smoothly and would be great for some years. I currently only have a budget PC that was meant for business more than anything else, and when I’ve researched into it, it’s just not worth upgrading it. I’ve looked into a number of pre-built computers, but seeing as I’m a complete novice when it comes to knowing which one is right, and because it’s a lot of money, I really would like a bit of help, please. I’m sorry also, but I cannot currently build my own computer.

My price range is anywhere between £900-£1,200. So far I’ve looked into PCworld (which I’ve heard isn’t the best place) and the makers of computers, mainly being Medion, Alienware and Novatech, since quite a few sites have said they’re good quality computers, and also nVidia and Radeon for graphic cards. I’d also need a new monitor/keyboard/mouse and a printer (but could get the printer separately later on.) Any other places or certain computers would be helpful though, and if you need more specific details, let me know.

Thank you. - H.

Like this post
GlassParasol

Likes # 0

Ah, right, so it would the best I can get for the budget? That's fine as long as it's good enough.

Yes, I definitely would need a monitor, etc. Realised now they offer them with the tower on Chillblast. Would a 24" Asus be enough? Since I know the monitor needs to be compatible with the graphics card. Though I likely could easily get one from near where I live instead.

For Wi-fi, my main router is in a different room and I currently have an adaptor that picks up the signal. I do have a fairly recent keyboard/mouse and speakers (1 and 1/2 years old) - but I don't know if they'd need upgrading to something better/compatible.

I'm looking through their customising - upgraded the RAM and power supply to what you said (8GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz and Corsair CX 750W) - not sure what case to pick, though. I am willing to move the budget a little if it needs, so extra cost isn't really a problem as much.

So, if I wanted to Overclock the GPU at any point, I'd be better off doing it myself?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Get yourself a Dell UltraSharp U2410 - 24" fantastic monitors when I bought mine they were £450 but now you can get them for under £250. I have just upgraded to the 27inch and it is incredible.With my Evga 670GTX gaming is absolutely the bees knees at ultra settings.

My choice of cases would be:

Corsair Graphite 600T. Review. I have my eye on one of these for my next build.

Cooler Master CM-690 II. Review.

Fractal Design Define R3.Review. Had one of these lovely cases.

NZXT Phantom (White). Review. Also had one of these in red a fantastic looking case.

Like this post
GlassParasol

Likes # 0

Thank you for the advice.

That monitor is listed on Chillblast, but looking around I can get it for much cheaper elsewhere (under £250 like you said). Might just keep my keyboard and mouse for now also.

If I add the Fractal case, RAM/Power Supply suggested by frybluff, a PCI adaptor and a pair of speakers, it's just a little over my budget, which is fine.

Would I require anything else or not?

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

No. Should be fine, except, as I said, I would be a bit dubious about getting with overclock to 4.8 GHz. Better without, and overclock, not that far, yourself. Get to know your way round system, first, and you should find it reasonably easy (Asus motherboards are pretty good). Plenty of advice, here, if you need it.

Like this post
GlassParasol

Likes # 0

Ah, okay. So get the i5 with 3.40GHz instead?

Thank you to you and everyone for having gone through this with me. Hopefully nearly everything's sorted now.

I definitely know where to ask for advice. (:

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Of course it's up to you, re overclocking. It's easy enough, with Asus motherboards, to overclock, yourself, to say 4.4 GHz. In my opinion, pushing an Ivybridge processor, past 4.5 GHz, creates too many reliability issues, for a relatively small performance gain.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What is this PCI adaptoryou refer to in your 08:38PM post yesterday?

Like this post
GlassParasol

Likes # 0

Ah, I understand more now. I'll get the one without any overclocking, then.

PCI adaptor - it's meant for connecting to the wireless internet, which mine is. I'm wondering if I'd need it at all, since my router is in another room, but I have a usb connected adaptor that reads in plugged into the back of my tower.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

My router is also in another room,in fact it is plugged in to the main phone point and I have run an Ethernet cable to a hub which all my various bits and pieces connect to, a couple of printers a spare PC and any PC that I might be looking at. The only wireless is the Nexus 7 I am currently using to type this.

But that is personal choice plus you will always get a better speed with a wired connect ion as opposed to a wireless.I also game online so a wired connect ion is preferred.

I assume that you are talking about a USB Wi-Fi dongle but you can also get a wireless PCI card for a few quid. I have never used one so do not know how good they are.

Like this post
GlassParasol

Likes # 0

Ah, I might have an Ethernet cable lying around somewhere. Only used it a couple of times and I agree there's much better speed and connection overall.

Perhaps I'll try connecting up my new tower up instead. I'll see how well the USB works first with it however.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger