We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

connecting to wifi with smartphones/tablets with Belkin Router

ipswichlister

Likes # 0

Hi all

I've got a Belkin F5D8236-4 wireless router. I've had no trouble connecting three laptops to it, but I've completely failed with my HTC smartphone and a friend has failed with a iPhone, I've also failed with an iPod. I've just got a Nexus 7, for my birthday, and that won't connect either! All devices find the network, they just don't connect!

I really would appreciate any help so I can use my present. I perhaps should say that, although I consider myself reasonably computer literate, the whole world of networking is a complete mystery to me!

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you tried unplugging the router for about ten minutes and trying again?

You could also try resetting the router - this will involve r-entering all of the settings.

There may be a problem with the wireless channel of your router - go into the configuration pages and see if changing this channel helps - a lot of routers have a default channel setting of 6 - try 1 or 11.

Are you sure that you are using the correct network key on your devices?

This piece of advice is from a Belkin forum

"f your htc device has WPS(wi-fi protected setup) in the wireless settings enable it with the wireless on, now somewhere on the back of the router should be a small button with a padlock above it hold, that down for 5 seconds and the padlock symbol on the front will flash and then thats it you should be connected. no need to change any complicated settings "

I have to do this with my own livebox - it is called pairing.

Like this post
ipswichlister

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply. I've unplugged it several times. I tried changing the channel - with no luck. I've definitely got the right network key - I've attached several laptops/netbooks to it. I couldn't find the small button with the padlock. To be honest my phone's not a real worry but more of a symptom - any smartphones/tablets/ipads don't seem to work with it. It's the Nexus that has brought this to a head.

Thanks again

Steve

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

In case you don't have one, here is a link to the operating manual of your router - there is also a update firmware download.

Are you trying to connect using these instructions from Belkin?

Like this post
ipswichlister

Likes # 0

I've got the latest firmware and have followed the instructions. I've connected my phone to numerous other wireless networks, without problem.

Like this post
ipswichlister

Likes # 0

Thanks for trying to help, but I feel I may just give up and buy a new wireless router!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I'm wondering whether this is causing your problems.

It crossed my mind whether there was a limit on the number of wireless devices on your router but I can't verify this.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen