We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Monitor entering power save mode when playing games

bionicle

Likes # 0

Dell ST2310 monitor goes into power save mode after around 10 minutes playing a game from disc. The disc is still playing, I can hear it through the speakers. When I press the button on the monitor it says no signal is being received from the computer. I cannot get the screen back on and so need to switch off the PC by holding down the power button. This only happens when playing a game.

PC is Dell, windows 7 64bit i-7 CPU 4GB RAM.

Any suggestions?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Could be the GPU is over heating. Check your card's fan is clear of dust and all the air flow grids on your case are also clear of dust.

Like this post
bionicle

Likes # 0

Have dusted external vents. However with some applications including PC games the fan does go up a gear with a higher pitch noise.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

A good utility to test your card is gpucapsviewer. Read the help info and you can test the heat the GPU gets to in different tests. Run SpeedFan at the same time and select GPU temperature monitoring.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You will need to open the case and visually examine the GPU card.

Like this post
bionicle

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave13. This afternoon I took the case off and using a can of compressed air, a feather duster and a few cotton buds have given the innards a good clean. There was a fair bit of dust. I initially thought problem was resolved as game was running further than I have got in the past however it did go into power save mode around 50mins in which at least is better than the 10 minutes I had been getting. Dont know if there is much else can be done. I dont want to spend a lot of money on this as its really only the kids who would like to play a few games but they mainly use the x-box.

Like this post
bionicle

Likes # 0

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites