We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cannot format external hdd

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello,

I have a 1Tb Hitachi external drive for backing up.A few days ago I used format to wipe all data so I could start afresh. The drive shows up OK but says it is not formatted. several attempts to format but message (windows is unable to format this drive) Can anyone help please.

Ray

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try a third party partition manager, something like this.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave, I have downloaded and tried it but it says. "Basic MBR Hard Disk 4 {Hitachi USB device) Volumes on this disk cannot be formatted" Any other suggestions anyone or shall I just bin it.

Ray

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

try changing to dynamic and see if it will format then

To change a basic disk into a dynamic disk using the Windows interface

In Disk Management, right-click the basic disk you want to convert.

Click Convert to Dynamic Disk….

Follow the instructions on your screen.
Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Fruitbat, I could not make it a dynamic drive as that option was greyed out. You did however steer me in the right direction as there was an option to "delete the existing partition" which I did not know was there in the first place as it did not show anywhere. Thought I may as well run it as all else had failed, it deleted the invisible partition and I was then able to format the thing at last. Why does everything have to be so difficult or am I just thick :-)

Ray

Like this post  
Nontek

Likes # 0

That's good, thanks for your feedback.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Glad you haven't had to scrap a good drive that sort of thing really annoys me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...