We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cannot format external hdd

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello,

I have a 1Tb Hitachi external drive for backing up.A few days ago I used format to wipe all data so I could start afresh. The drive shows up OK but says it is not formatted. several attempts to format but message (windows is unable to format this drive) Can anyone help please.

Ray

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Only a guess, but perhaps if you right-click on the drive you may get a format option from within the drive itself.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks but that does not work.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I should have said - click on Properties after the right-click - you should then see various tabs including one marked Tools, then within Tools you should get the option to check drive for errors.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks again, I have tried this but when I try to start check for errors nothing happens, the window just vanishes.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Still trying to do this. Any ideas please.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

CAn you see the drive in disk management ? try and format the drive there.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I can see it but it just wont format, not an old thing and only used a few times. I am trying full format at the moment but takes a long time. Thanks Ray

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It will take a long time to do a full format on a TB hard drive. So it is formatting?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

1,024 B (bytes) = 1KB (kilobyte) 1,024 KB (kilobytes) = 1 MB (megabyte) 1,024 MB (megabytes) = 1 GB (gigabyte) 1,024 GB (gigabytes) = 1 TB (terabyte) although manufacturers like to call 1 TB as 100 GB equivalent for obvious reasons.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

It took about 2hrs and then said "Windows was unable to complete the format"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more