We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows updates causing problem with internet access

Munchkin

Likes # 1

My PC is automatically downloading updates which results in failure to connect to the internet. I have a wireless router/modem which is hard-wired to my PC. At the moment the only way I can get around this is to run System Restore to return the PC to its previous state but this results in my PC automatically downloading the updates again when I shut down the PC. I am now trapped in a cycle of running system restore and the PC downloading the updates again. Please help me break this vicious circle. Footnote: A total of 20 updates download each time so I can't be sure exactly which one is causing the problem.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Can I suggest that you change your windows update settings so that you are advised when there are updates available and you choose when to install them.

Go to Control Panel - Make sure you are in All Control Panel icons view - click on Windows Update - change settings.

You can then install them individually and that way you may be able to discover the problem.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As difarn, select Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them Link to how to do it HERE.. Restore again and When Windows inform you of updates take a look for any driver updates for your LAN card. Right click it and select 'hide'.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

To stop Windows installing updated drivers follow Stop automatic driver updates. I should have added.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Do you run McAfee Internet Security Suite. If so then that is likely to be the culprit. Here is the information about the problem update, and the solution to sort out the problem by running the McAfee Virtual Technician.

McAfee Update Problem

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

McAfee updates are nothing to do with Windows updates.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"McAfee updates are nothing to do with Windows updates."

No, but a recent McAfee update has been causing internet connection failures, so it was certainly worth mentioning.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

rdave12

Munchkin never actually mentioned Windows Updates - and System Restore does remove the offending update from McAfee. But as he discovered it is not a permanent solution, as it will download the update again.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

OK - it WAS mentioned in the title, but it was an assumption

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Forum Editor thanks for that. Was worth mentioning.

Sea Trchin , have a look at the title.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sea Urchin , your reply is also pertinent but also an assumption.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room