We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows updates causing problem with internet access

Munchkin

Likes # 1

My PC is automatically downloading updates which results in failure to connect to the internet. I have a wireless router/modem which is hard-wired to my PC. At the moment the only way I can get around this is to run System Restore to return the PC to its previous state but this results in my PC automatically downloading the updates again when I shut down the PC. I am now trapped in a cycle of running system restore and the PC downloading the updates again. Please help me break this vicious circle. Footnote: A total of 20 updates download each time so I can't be sure exactly which one is causing the problem.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I used to get the odd update like that which did the same.

It was just a matter of going into the device manager and rolling back the driver for it.

Unfortunately I cannot remember if it was the network adapter or not that I had to roll back.

Eventually I just stopped automatic updates and download manually now so that I no longer get that problem.

Just run your updates manually the 2nd Tuesday of every month and either remove the one that you do not want or double click it and a box will open underneath Just tick don't show this update again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone