We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

re install XP

jerica

Likes # 0

Hi, a while back I was advised how to repair XP without lossing any info on my computer and now I am tryint to do the same on another machine but I cannot seem to get it to boot in setup from the disc. When I tried to install from the disc it said that the copy of XP on the machine was newer than the one I was trying to install from, I'm assuming that is because of the service packs. So the question is can I do a repair from the old disc or can I upgrade XP home to XP pro without losing any info. Any help gratfully accepted, thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

can I upgrade XP home to XP pro without losing any info

No

First try Repair XP

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Do not attempt to reinstall XP without first being sure evrything is backed up you have the product key and the backed up activation files WPA and all drivers and install files / disks for any programs on the system.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

To do a windows repair install you will need to make a CD with your old XP Sp1/sp2 installation disc and slipstream a copy of sp3 onto it using something like Nlite all instructions

here

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What is the problem requiring a repair install anyway?

There may be other methods of over coming the problem such as a system restore from recover console.

Like this post
jerica

Likes # 0

Hi Fruitbat. Just tried option one and it tells me that the files needed are on the XP disc and to put in my XP disc and then tells me it's the wrong disc, which is odd as I only have one. The problem that has prompted this is that I'm trying to install a Brother printer DCP197c and the software will not install because it keeps telling me DIFxDriverPackageInstallError=82 which I took to mean that something is missing from my OS. Tried installing on a different machine and it works perfectly so it must be my comp. Hope this makes sense.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

tells me it's the wrong disc because its an old disk and is looking for XP sp3 files which doesn't exist until you make one ;0)

Its probably conflicting with another driver do you have another printer installed?

Like this post
jerica

Likes # 0

Hi Fruitbat, I made the disc but it still told me that it was the wrong disc so I must have missed something, but while I was trying to use it I managed to install XP again on the same drive ( I know, don't tell me, I pressed enter when I should have pressed R). Anyway the upshot is that I now have XP and a printer and access to most of the progs and data so it's working OK, the only problem so far seems to be not being able to get WORD or PUBLISHER to work, any ideas?

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

When you boot from xp cd it'll give you 3 choices; 1 to cancel, 2 to repair, 3 to install xp. Choose last option, then it'll give you 3 options; 1 to cancel, 2 to do a fresh install, 3 to repair. Choose last one. It'll take about half to one hour. Then you'll have to do updates which takes a couple of hours. Data will be intact.

I just did a 'repair install' yesterday.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I think as above you are going the wrong way about the problem, as you only need to setup a printer, why not stick to sorting the problem out for that. not going through the reinstall as this may cause further problems and not solve what the problem already is

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July