We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acronis and full clone problem. Won't boot

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

A new thread about an outstanding problem [(Earlier thread])1 Acronis TI v 10 has been used where necessary for years purely to re-set Drive C: from a backup of that drive – XP Pro

Last week having a spare HD I decided to make a clone which could be plugged in if the main SATA HD really died.

Tried every which way to produce the thing including instead of backup/restore I cloned the whole HD (all drives). Whatever the method, the PC refused to load Windows. The clone went as far as the black screen with bar graph and then rebooted The backups froze at the Windows trademark as when shutting down but without any message.

The fault must be mine, what have I done or not done?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Good point woodchip.

I'm not sure I can boot from USB in the BIOS anyway, but it is worth trying what you suggest (even if it makes me show some effort) and connect the target as a secondary drive.

Experiments will have to wait 'till tomorrow now. What I want is a plug-in replacement HD if the resident fails to run at all.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Cloning to a usb drive should make no difference. If you disconnected the original drive then connected the 'cloned' drive to your PC it should boot and act exactly as your original drive. If not then it is duff.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Managed to stop rebooting on error.

A screenful of code plus non-specific mention of a hardware change (obviously the HD) is all headed with - CONFIGLISTFAILED

rdave13 I dont think the target HD is duff. I ran chkdisk on it and when mounted as a USB drive all expected files and folders are there.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That look as if the target drive hasn't enough space for the cloning, doubt if ram problem as original drive boot up ok.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

rdave13 Many thanks.

"There's none so blind as those who will not see!"

I've come back online to say the same thing. Having checked the "new drive" it has enough space in data and backup drives but C:(OS and major apps.) has, I'm ashamed to say just 4Kb free space.

Hope to report problem solved, but first a lot of copying as well as a final clone. I have a 320GB HD which I should have used, but was my data backup, that has to be copied across to the 160GB disk first.

What started as a luxury backup has now taken far too much of everyone's time to shelve now.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

The dust has settled.

Problem 1. Cloned drive would not boot

Answer: Target drive too small. Though the total drive free space available was plenty, Acronis halved all partitions regardless of need, strangling a deliberately small C: left with only 4Kb to operate!

Problem, 2. Couldn't read flashed error message

Answer: set BIOS to halt on error. The message so typical was when I read it - irrelevant.

Like this post  
T0SH

Likes # 0

If you boot to the (F8) safemode choices menu you can choose "Disable automatic restart" to view the bluescreen error report

Cheers HC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback