We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I had to recover my PC by cloning but lost SP3 for xp pro not SP3 wont install?

SANAP

Likes # 0

I need to install SP3 after getting my PC restored in a local computer shop but when I tried to install SP3 I get errors and all the suggestions that I tried failed to work!!

Is there a simpler method that I could use? its a dell 9150 with xp pro.

Thanks

sanap

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

I should add PC was bang up to date before it crashed.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

So 'cloning' doesn't even come into the equation.... unless you mean they cloned your hard drive to a different hard drive, but that would be an exact replica of xp and all data, so doesn't explain why you have 'lost' SP3.

I wonder why you took pc to a shop to have xp restored. Did they restore to factory settings? (like it was when you first got it) or did they use a CD/DVD?

If it was still the original Dell XP that was on pc then you could have done that restore yourself by pressing a couple of keys.

Anyway, SP3 you can download an .iso and burn it to CD. The standalone is for all versions of XP, it's a big download 544.9 MB. ClickHere microsoft.com ignore the comment of 'Do not click download if you are updating just one computer'

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

ok I am doing a few things at the same time and getting my in a twist. The HD disc gave up the ghost ie I could not read to it etc so to all intents and purposes it was a dead HD. The pc actually recovered the data and transferred it to a new HD and to be honest I dont really understand what they did. I wanted all my data back quickly especially emails and that happened. I had to go away and the shop did say they could get SP3 back but it meant another trip to the shop, with the PC or they could do it remotely. I had no time. I am back now and thought of asking on here. I will try your suggestion and sorry for the wrong post.

sanap

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What error messages?

Sp3 will only install if XP sp1 is installed first

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem. [Error number: 0x8007043B

I tried all the suggestions but none worked. I am going to tryt the iso route tomoro. Unless...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ok so its a windows update download problem rather than an SP3 problem

Click Start > Run and type

net.exe stop wuauserv

Press Ok.

Repeat for the following:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll

regsvr32 wups.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 wucltui.dll

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

regsvr32 atl.dll

net.exe start wuauserv

Then reftry to download

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem. [Error number: 0x8007043B

I tried all the suggestions but none worked. I am going to tryt the iso route tomoro. Unless...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Unless.... today you try Fruit Bat's instructions to re-register the files to fix the Windows Update hitch, which should make pc able to display the update page.

Good idea to still download the .iso and burn to cd (imgBurn is free) then you will have SP3 on CD should you need it.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

I think the Windows XP update site limitations on service pack version may well be the cause of your problem

As a workarround you can get the updates manually from this site

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/#.UDfCNhK0spU

Cheers HC

Like this post
SANAP

Likes # 0

well can I say but wow to fruit bat, did as instructed and then downloaded sp3 etc etc. I have never seen so many updates, restart, restart and on it went. Now bang up to date and working nicely.

So thanks all and fruit bat. I have that ISO as well.

delighted

sanap

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added