We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Quad core, slower than dual core

moonraker50

Likes # 0

I recently purchased a Quad Core Desktop PC after my Dual Core gave up the ghost. In the package there was no operating system so I requested Windows 7 Professional OEM..Ive got 16 GB of RAM DDR3, and 1TB HDD, however it seems to be slower than my dual core was, has anyone any ideas, any free programmes i could possibly run to see what the problem is. I would have bought an up-to-date laptop, but they seem so very slow compared with Desktop PC's Any ideas or help would be gratefully appreciated? Thanks

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

I would do the simple things first. Go into your power options in the control panel, and make sure it's set for high performance. They are usually set to balanced or power saver. If so, you should notice quite a difference.

Like this post
moonraker50

Likes # 0

Ive done as you have advised and its already set to High Performance, thanks for the tip though!

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Might be a silly question, but have your installed drivers for everything, and up to date ones. Who is PC manufacturer?

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

When you say its slower, what exactly do you mean. It is just slower to boot up, which could mean you are loading too much to start up (not unfamiliar with all the bloatware you get with new installations from manufacturers). If this is the case, then go to msconfig and see what you can delete from your start up tab. Same thing applies with close down.

However, the same thing could well be hogging much of your resources as well, so it would be worth while to go to Add remove programs and see if there are any programs (trials etc) you can delete from your system.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

there would be no bloater ware on it as it as no operating system, all that's on it is what he as put on it after loading windows

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

You have a 1TB harddrive. Is that as One drive?.

If set as one drive it means the system has to check the whole drive when working, and 1TB (1000GB) is a lot of harddrive to check.

Try splitting the drive into e.g. System drive 100gb, and the rest into partitions for Documents, videos, music or whatever you choice is.

You can use the partition maker in Windows 7 for this or use a third party program.

Don't forget to defragment it after.

Terry

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I disagree with regard to the last post.

There is no checking of the whole drive, NTFS and its MFT manages where data is stored and it makes no difference how big or small the drive is or how many partitions it has.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

To continue

However building multiple drives into a stripped Raid will speed up access times.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Sorry Woodchip, but I have to disagree. Unless he put the OS on himself, which I doubt, I would still suspect some bloatware.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014