We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Good Laptop for a Uni Art Student? HELP

Takoto

Likes # 0

I'm going to be going to Uni this year, starting late September. I already have a very good laptop (it's a gaming one but runs all my art programs nicely), but the problem is it's pretty large and heavy, not something I want to take on the train every day.

I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions, I need a laptop quite small/portable, but capable of running something akin to Photoshop or Photoshop: Elements.

The actual art program I use does not work on MAC and isn't compatible with them, so Macs are out of the question for me.

I don't really have a price range as I can probably use part of my student loan, but something around or under £200 would be ideal, and something under £400 would be... expensive but I can still afford it and would buy it if it's my only option.

I already have a (quite small and portable) graphics tablet. The laptop would need to have at least 1USB port, for the tablet.

Thank you for reading!! And thank you in advance to any answers!!

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Your problem is that you are somewhat asking the impossible.

Loss, theft, or damage is a fact of life for a laptop, at Uni. That's what insurance is for, but insurance won't replace loads of vital coursework, unless you have it safely backed up. You need an external hard drive for that, that you can keep safe. That will set you back around £70, leaving you with £330, even from your higher end.

Then, lightweight and reasonable performance, really means Ultrabook. Way outside your budget. You can get light-ish conventional laptops, but that usually means "flimsy". Not ideal for uni, either.

You really need something with an i3 processor, 4GB of RAM, and at least a 500GB hard drive. They CAN be found for £330 (just).

Your best bet is to go somewhere, like PC World (I'm not necessarily saying, buy there), and check the look, and feel, of some possibilities, that you like. Then shop around for a decent price.

You can always refer any selection, back here, for an opinion, on its quality, before you actually buy.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Get yourself a Second hand MacBook

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Or get yourself a second-hand Macbook. Good idea!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I used to work in a college with a strong Art & Design faculty, and although I did not work there I know that without exception they worked solely with Apple equipment, while the rest of the six campus college was totally Windows networked.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Takoto: There's very little 'Art' software that is not better done by Mac Software.

By sticking with whatever Software you are currently using you may be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

By the way your £200.00 option is probably impossible, even Net-books exceed that price and are hard pressed to run a high end Word Processor, let alone anything complex

Like this post
CommandJG

Likes # 0

Yeah. I do agree with above comments, go Macbook or second-hand one!

Like this post
charlie1973

Likes # 0

Hi,

I work with Dell and I know they have some great deals on their Deals page, have a look at laptop deals

Also there are offers just for students. One offer live at the moment is you get a free xbox360 4GB with a laptop purchase. Have a look www.dell.com/uk/p/student-offer-xbox

Like this post
tanjagersten

Likes # 0

From all the experience i have with laptops Hp is definitely the best, so do what you have to and get one.

Like this post
tanjagersten

Likes # 0

Here I also found a really nice article about student laptops: http://www.mawista.com/blog/en/cheapest-high-quality-laptops-students/

I think you'd make a really good choice if you chose one of the Dell Inspiron series, they tend to perform really well, and are built to last. I think an i5 processor with at least 4gb of ram should be enough for your daily uses. If you want a laptop with a better graphic card you'd have to pay more because they are quite expensive these days. The Intel processors have them integrated so that shouldn't be a problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...