We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recover JPEGs embedded in other damaged files

sopher
Resolved

Likes # 0

I need to recover small unencrypted JPEGs that are embedded in a larger .evt file that has been damaged on a memory card. What method or recovery application can recover JPEGs from INSIDE files (that are not JPEGs), rather than ignore the wrapper non-photographic file/filname extension and declaring 'No files found'?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

This is a direct download of a free program that might do what you want. It is extremely good at recovering normally deleted/corrupt/formatted pics which might otherwise be lost forever. Not guaranteed but certainly worth a try.

Before running the program, create a new Folder on your Desktop, give it a name and then from within the program you can Browse to that folder where you should find your recovered pics, provided it works for you of course. You can cancel the process at any time, any pics recovered up to that point will still be in your created folder. You can even open your created folder and see the recovered pics appearing. Make sure you choose the drive letter given to your card.

A useful little program to keep on your PC/Laptop.

http://www.rcc-ltd.co.uk/CampicRestor.zip

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's an excellent program but if you have a hard drive full of images then you'll need a folder that can save nearly as much Gig as the HDD. :)

Be prepared. Originally posted by Woodchip here on these forums.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

.evt file ? That's an Event log file ? you open in My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer.

or is there something else that has the file ext .evt ?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

rdave13

Just as a matter of interest, I got the program from a CD attached to a Digital Photography magazine, long long time ago!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure if this will help or not but free till tomorrow.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Nontek thanks for that. Found original post, link

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Even going back further, last post here.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

lotvic's point about evt file is very good. I would be surprised if jpegs are embedded in an evt file. It would be helpful to know how the damaged file was created in the first place, how it got damaged and a check on the file extension.

Like this post
sopher

Likes # 0

Many thanks Nontek, and others, but a test of CampicRestor on a known good 2GB Micro-SD card containing a 1.9 GB .evt took three minutes to find no JPEGs. At least CampicRestor seems to be looking INSIDE the .evt file (holding 100+ small JPEGs). The normally excellent Recuva just whizzed round and immediately reported no JPEGs found.

My damaged .evt file was created by a camera set up to record events. Unsurprisingly my Win7 64-bit cannot open the file. I have spoken to the camera suppliers who don't have a recovery application they're willing to let me have, but they did say that there is available a free recovery application available, and of which they could not remember the name! Hence my search and post.

Jock1e, I've downloaded giveawayoftheday but shall not run it until I get desperate or time runs out, because being pestered by suppliers of 'free' software really annoys me - but I understand!

My HxD hexeditor can see data inside the file, so information is readable by a suitably penetrative recovery application.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

A few more to try ...

From another thread!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...