We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Deleting 'un-necessary' files?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon,

I recently was very disturbed to find that the number of duplicate files I had was, shall I say, substantial. I have recently got a duplicate file finder and have been working on getting rid of as many of these as possible, but have realised that, having deleted some, there are more that I need advice about.

For instance I have NVIDIA in, at least, 3 areas. If I can get rid of one or, even better 2, then I would be grateful, the three folders are ( but I should emphasise that the folders listed are what the duplicate file finder found, and so the folder(s) I should delete are the ones at the ‘top-of-the-tree’ so to speak!! ):-

C:\Program Files\NVIDIA CORPORATION\Installer\NVIDIA.Update.0\

C:\Most of my Data\General\NVIDIA\Display Driver\270.61\Vista 64-bit\English\Display.Update\

C:\Program Files(x86)\NVIDIA CORPORATION\Updatus\

Now what you do not know is that I tried to update my ‘NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT’ to what they called ‘280.26’, but had an absolute nightmare. I can not remember exactly how long it took me to regain ‘270.61’, but I think it was something like a fortnight. I have tried – obviously not well enough – to find which of the folders above would be used by my computer, but can not find which one. So can someone, please, tell me which of the above would be the one used, or how to find out from my computer’s details – no doubt it is somewhere or other – and I will then be able to get rid of the other two. I should emphasise that I am ‘keeping’ ALL the files I delete so that I can re-install any should it become necessary.

Also in this duplicate file finding do I have found not only folders which have a reference to ‘280.26’ within them, and another which has a reference to ‘258.96’, which I am presuming is the version I had prior to ‘270.61’. Would I be correct in assuming that I can delete any folders having these references?

Also I have iTunes, but am not yet using it! But my question also applies to other programmes! I have found that many programmes have up to 20 or so files relating to different languages. I know this is probably a bit stupid, but is it ‘safe’ to delete all the non-English files and just leave the English one in the sub-folder? What I mean is that whether or not I have installed a programme, I am not going to be using any language other than English, so why keep the other files?

Any advice/help/information will be very gladly and gratefully received, I assure you. There is also the possibility that I might ask even more questions on this!!!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I had a look and I don't have any NVIDIA Update files on my pc. I have NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GS card.

Only you can decide if you need it at all. What is NVIDIA Update It might be in your Control panel, Add/Remove Programs.

I note the 'Vista 64bit' (for 64bit) and the 'x86' (for 32bit) don't know what you are running.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

lotvic,

Sorry to take so long to reply but the boss wanted me, i.e. no option!!, but many thanks for your reply, although it does raise some problems for me!!

I apologise as I should have said that I upgraded to Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium a little while ago, and the machine is, as a result, on its third OS, as I bought it new - in January 2007 - and it had XP Professional preinstalled on it, then I got Vista 'free'.

What I do not understand is your comment that you have an 'NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GS' and yet have no files on your hard drive. As I said in my post I had a nightmare with an NVIDIA update, and would not like to risk another. at the bottom right-hans side of the screen, there are two '^' above one another to show me where the hidden icons are. One of these is the 'NVIDIA Control Panel', so I am presuming you do not have this either?

Reading your post a couple of times it seems to me that - one interpretation, anyway - I could delete all my NVIDIA folders. But this brings to a problem that a brain dead pensioner like me can not get my head round: if all the files were to be deleted, how is the screen to be contrlled? This just seems to me to be impossible!! If someone could confirm what I should delete - or transfer to a pen drive on a temporary basis, say - then I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I am using XP pro MCE sp3 at the moment (I do have W7 on another harddrive but it's not set up right yet as I've been messing about with it...)

I don't have any update files as I have never updated from original driver. Update files were explained in the link in my previous post. It says "When you install a Release 270 or later GeForce/ION driver from www.nvidia.co.uk, you will be presented with the option to install NVIDIA Update" it also tells you how to turn it off in Preferences. "Enable and disable NVIDIA Update. To disable, uncheck the Automatically check for updates checkbox".

I vaguely remember when I got pc that there was a nvidia icon in tray near clock but I must have got rid of it in the past.

I don't have anything Nvidia in tray. To access Card settings I rightclick on Desktop, and click on 'Nvidia Display', and click on the name of monitor (Dell1707FP). At the left side of next popup displaying Card Details there is a small lime green button to click on that displays the menu for me to alter settings (I've not needed to alter anything so far). Or I can access the same window via: Control Panel, Display, Settings tab, (or rightclick on empty part Desktop, Properties, Settings tab), Advanced button, and GeForce 7900 GS is one of the tabs.

To look at my Driver Details list of files on Harddrive (as I have no chance of recognising them individually on ordinary Windows Explorer) I go to Device Manager, Display Adapters, rightclick NvidiaGeForce7900GS and choose Properties, Driver tab and Driver Details button. This gives me list of driver files installed in C:\Windows\system32\ that my card is using (but I have had no need to actually understand them all. lol)

I control what shows in my Taskbar Tray by rightclick Start, Properties, Taskbar tab, and click on 'Customize' button next to 'Hide inactive icons'. I can then click on an item and that enables a drop down menu so I can choose an action.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Had the same problem with nVidia and, as the only nVidia product I had was a graphics card, I uninstalled everything that existed in 'Add Remove Programs' with the name nVidia and then I went through my registry and did exactly the same again, removing anything with the name nVidia. I actually had to do the registry twice as it needed a reboot in between to free up some files for deletion. Having done that I installed the latest version for my 7600GT card and no problems.

I have Acronis, which I backed up with prior to the deletion exercise just in case!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That sounds the best way to clean up unnecessary files Pine Man, makes sense to me.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Housten

If you haven't deleted entries in registry before it's very straightforward.

Run regedit and close the 'tree' down to leave just 'computer' highlighted at the top. Use the 'Edit' menu to locate and click on 'Find.....'. Type nvidia in 'Find What:' then click on find next. It will find the first entry for you, which you delete and then press the F3 key and it will find the next entry and so on until you've done the lot. Some might not delete but if you restart your PC and start the exercise again they may well have gone or now allow you to delete them. If you can't just leave them.

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

Might be worth having a read Click here before you go too far!!

Confab

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

My advice is in respect of nVidia files only and nothing else.

nVidia does, from time to time, litter files all over the place and installs duplicates. On the basis that you only have one nVidia device my advice will safely remove all files associated with it and nothing else.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

When you uninstall Nvidia Graphic Card drivers, Windows reverts back to it's own basic drivers.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for all your replies and advice. What I have been using is a programme which - I must have run it 10 or 12 times now - 'saves' the deleted files and which I will have to confirm for them to be finally deleted. I am, I suppose, also looking to making my backups smaller and it appears that I have eliminated something like a GB of files. As these can still be retreived I haven't exactly got rid of them, but if there are no problems with what I am using, then in a couple of months or so I will delete them.

I am an inveterate hoarder - talk to my wife about that, she goes mad that I keep everything - and I have several pen drives that I have saved programmes and files onto that are duplicated on not only other pen drives but also on my hard drive, and I must have added about 500 MB to my hard drive and eliminated treble that from the pen drives and hard drive. When you start rationalising your files it is quite amazing where you can find all sorts of things, most of which you will never want or use! But if you are like me you will still have kept them, anyway!!

So, gentlemen, many, many thanks to you for all the advice. One thing I must say that it is well worth the effort in that the number of old letters and spreadsheets I have 'found' - some of which I have had to re-do - is quite wonderful and helpful.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen