We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Re-numbering photos in a "My Pictures" folder

Yimbo
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a folder in "My Pictures" with about 400 photos - all with various descriptions/numbers. I want to make a slide-show presentation, but though the pictures are in the order I want them in the folder, when I open my program to make the slide-show, they are shown in a very different order - which would make selecting them a tedious process.

Is there a way to re-number them all in the folder - 001 to 400 - thus preserving the order I want, without having to go through them all one by one?

Like this post
HenryF75

Likes # 0

Like this post
Burn-it

Likes # 0

It is likely that your slideshow program has the option to change the order. I suspect that one is using name and the other is using date.

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Thanks HenryF75 - - I've downloaded your suggestion - but it looks like it involves (for me!) a substantial learning curve! I'll give it a go and see how I get on!

Like this post  
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Thank you Burn-it. The program I'm using is ProShow Gold from Photodex. I'll look into what you've suggested!

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Thank you Burn-it. The program I'm using is ProShow Gold from Photodex. I'll look into what you've suggested!

Like this post
HenryF75

Likes # 0

Yimbo Do not be put of by the large number of options. The sections you want will probably be (5) and (10). Just untick the rest,select the files you wish to alter and give it a go.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Yimbo I had that same problem a few weeks ago and was also intimidated at first by the large number of options, however as HenryF75 says, it is actually quite easy to use, it's just that first option screen looks intimidating. Try it, you will find it very useful.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

In Windows Copy the photos to a new folder.

On the duplicate folder click on Organize then Select All then Rename. Enter a number sequence such as 001 on the first photo, press enter and all you photos will be renumbered in order 001-002 etc.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Yimbo, as others have said, it ain't nearly as scary as it looks. Just take a deep breath and read through the help file (especially the Application Overview/Getting Started item). It's well laid out, informative and very easy to get to grips with. Don't bother with the really complicated stuff (e.g. section 1 REgEx) but sections 3, 5, 7 & 10 (and occasionally 6) really make managing photo file names a whole lot easier. Once you get comfortable with it, you can even update "date taken" timestamps although, as the author says, this can be a bit slow if trying to operate on large numbers of files.

Good luck

Like this post
Burn-it

Likes # 0

And just how is that going to help? We've already established that one of the programs is NOT using the name to sort them. What is more your suggestion will reset the date on ALL the files to the same date "today's" so any date sporting would be lost.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do