We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Home Hub 2 connection problem

mhov

Likes # 0

I have a Dell 530 with a wired connection to a BT Home Hub. A few days ago the internet connection failed. The Hub and cables are OK as I can access the internet by wired or wirelsss connection using a laptop. Thinking the network card may have failed I have installed a new one. Device Manager tells me the new card is working correctly and the driver is up to date but when I try to re-establish the network connection the installation programme gets as far as testing the connection and reports 'not connected'. I know the cable is OK and the Hub is working correctly so cannot understand why the computer will not connect to the hub.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Have you tried resetting the hub (bottom button I think).

It often cures unexplained glitches.

Like this post
mhov

Likes # 0

Yes - but it doesn't cure the problem.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Like this post
mhov

Likes # 0

Yes. I've tried pretty much everything but without success. I think it might be time for a trip to the repair shop!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You could try re-setting the winsock in case this has become corrupted.

In the Command Prompt, type in the bold text, one command after the other, pressing Enter between each one of them:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults:type- netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults:type- netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults:type -netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Restart the computer.

Like this post
Nick_OB

Likes # 0

I have exactly the same problem - internet connection failed and when it restarted the wired desktop will no longer connect (though laptops will, even with the same cable from the back of the PC). I also tried putting a wifi dongle in the desktop to see if I could connect wireless and even that doesn't work. I'll try the Winsock suggestion. Is there any chance that the BomeHub software has been changed and some firewall settings have changed?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015