We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Buying Bare Bones Machine

Abel

Likes # 0

woodchip, rdave13 suggested this bare bones machine to me, see http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/barebones/bb-2124a.html could I have your slant on it please or any other suggestion. rdave12, no offence, just getting another view

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's called an I/O plate or shield. Scroll down a bit about different plates/shields for motherboards, install_motherboard

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

I'm back again! I've now transferred all the innards of my old case to a new one which I last mentioned on 24th. Everything works perfectly, an achievement for a ham-fist like me, but I have no sound. There's no separate sound card, the sound is on-board. The speakers have their power supply and the green jack is plugged into its I/O socket at the back of the machine. I've looked quite carefully to see if there's anywhere on the mobo that should have some sort of power supply but I can't see anything. Can someone guide me please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have a look in device manager to see if an Exclamation mark against sound drivers - right click - properties - to see an error codes.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Have you installed the motherboards sound drivers?

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

As soon as I saw Cronus' suggestion I realised I hadn't installed any of the mobo's drivers and thought this was the answer to my problem, however, it's not. The Realtek 'sound effect' and 'volume' icons now appear in the system tray but still no sound. /\Fruit Bat/\, how do I get to the Device Manager?

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Then I got you title wrong, sorry about that

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The sound drivers should be on the motherboard disk. If not head over to Realtek and get them there.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat //0\, I promise you I'm not lazy. Since posting, I've now found 'Device Manager' and there's no yellow exclamation mark against 'Sound, video and game controllers'

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Cronus, I put the mobo's disk into the machine and loaded all of its drivers. Since the icons appear in the system tray and there's no problems shown in the 'Device Manager' is it not reasonable to assume the sound drivers are installed?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Not necessarily I would stick the disk in and browse to the drivers and reinstall the sound. It will not do any harm.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback