We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Buying Bare Bones Machine

Abel

Likes # 0

woodchip, rdave13 suggested this bare bones machine to me, see http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/barebones/bb-2124a.html could I have your slant on it please or any other suggestion. rdave12, no offence, just getting another view

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm sorry Novatech's help was less than acceptable. Noted.

I've found this site called Puterz LTD. Based in UK. Never heard of them before but have bookmarked. Hopefully someone can give a review about the company. I've not seen anything bad so far. Have a look at this link. Scroll down to the last in the list. Full ATX, 500w psu, 8gig ram, 2 usb3 and even an IDE socket for your old Optical drive. Scroll back to top for the link for Intel barebones base units. Do check their address etc before considering anything. Worth a look.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13 I think their address is a private house but has some good reviews.

http://www.freeindex.co.uk/more-reviews.htm?id=6837

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

rdave13, certainly appears to be an excellent deal both retro, IDE, and up-to-date USB3. Jock1e picked-up on your post, and based on his comments I checked the address out on Google's street view. The road doesn't appear to have any comercial premises, so I guess they must operate from a private address, possibly a garage? The level of kit they offer is extensive and in some cases very expensive. If payment is made by credit card the value is insured if it exceeds £100, so it should initially be safe. The only drawback wouuld be any guarantee if they cou;d not meet their commitments

Like this post
Amad

Likes # 0

I've bought from Puterz a few times and they are the real deal.

The map does not show exactly where they are based and looks like a private house but their workshop is down the road.

Good quality stuff IMHO.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Thanks for your input Amad, but tell me, what does IMHO mean. Sorry to be such a dinosaur.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

In My Humble Opinion

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi Abel

I bought a barebones from Novatech just over 6 months ago, approx. Having only tinkered with the 'insides' of a computer before, I found it an interesting challenge and, in fact, several times contacted them for help as to what to do with some of the components etc.

I found them to be really helpful and I didn't feel they were being less than courteous to a (young) OAP at all. I can't speak highly enough of them. Obviously each person can have a different experience with the same person.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you that, to reassure you!

Cheers

Like this post
Amad

Likes # 0

Hi Abel, IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

Just had a look this morning and Puterz are also doing free delivery on purchases of £150 or more also.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

rdave13, having looked at the various alternatives I think I'm going to opt for the Puterz bare bones set-up you mentioned. One other thing though, just to satisfy my frugality I'm going to use the gubbins of my old machine in the case I had tucked away, just to get an extra bit of experience without fear of damaging or spoiling my nice new bit of kit. However, there's quite a gaping hole at the back of the case where the various ports poke through. Is there some sort of holed plate or other that somehow fixes to the case? If so what's it called so that I can get hold one?

By the way, I believe woodchip had the answer to my original problem of the new drives not being recognised; almost certainly all that was needed were the drivers. The reason is that both drives are 6 Gb/s SATA II, when my OS was XP SP3.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

there's quite a gaping hole at the back of the case where the various ports poke through

I think you are talking of where the I/O plate goes, you will get one with the new motherboard as although they may all be the same overall dimensions the positions of the holes for the various connectors can vary.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July