We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is the best free password manager for windows xp

micemews

Likes # 0

Can anyone recommend a secure free passwod manager for windows xp sp3 please. Preferably one that can also be backed up on a removable drive so that it can be used on another pc and would be preserved in the event of a hard disk failure (this happened to me recently and I lost the lot).

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

One that I have used for several years,in fact I have the paid for version, is Roboform. This bit of software is simple to use and will sync your passwords etc across different devices. I believe that there are limitations on the free version but have a look.

Click here.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Try Lastpass.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Roboform for me - have used it for years - now using Roboform Everywhere which Syncs online. Free version does have its limitations

Like this post
G-telware

Likes # 0

Previously I had use Windows XP operating system, and i was used Dual Sim Karte Iphone3G . Try this I hope this will help out.

[

Like this post
micemews

Likes # 0

Thanks all for your replies. I am thinking I will try Roboform which costs £7 95 for the first year (reduced from £13 95). However I have three further questions to ask please :-

1.What has been the cost of renewing the license in the next year ?

2.How would I be able to recover my passwords in the event of hard disk failure ?

3.Would I be able to recover my passwords if I decided not to renew the license after the first or subsequent years ?

Thanks

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

I've got RF Everywhere and renewed in June for £13.95. I can get at the information from my desktop and laptops, but you can get RF ToGo, which runs from a memory stick. You can also print off a list of your passwords for information.

Well worth it, in my opinion.

Like this post
MuDelta

Likes # 0

Roboform for me. I have used it for years. micemews, I keep a copy of my passwords on a memory stick in a secure and fire resistant place remote from my computers. For your other questions, ask Roboform, I have always found them very helpful (not that I have had many questions over the years).

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

micemews

Just a word of warning.

I have been looking for a standalone password manager for some time to store passwords and their associated data only.

This is not what roboform is about. It does an awful lot more than I want and I consider it unnecessarily complicated. Also when you (try) to uninstall it you will find lots of it left littered around your registry.

If it's for you - great and good luck!

Like this post
micemews

Likes # 0

Thanks again everyone for your help.

What I am loking for is exactly as decribed by Pine Man ie a standalone password to store passwords and their associated data only. I think Roboform is too sophisticated for my requirements.

Does anyone know if there is anything out there that I (and Pine Man)might find suitable ?

Thanks

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have never found Roboform complicated you fill in a password it asks if you want to save it. Job done. Yes it will fill in online forms (name address ETC) if you want but that is up to you. I started with Roboform because I found it simple,my views have not changed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......