We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Says it`s an AVI file but nothing will play it?

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I have taken some video clips on digital camera but cannot play them back. Click on properties shows them as AVI files or Windows Movies. Tried Nero, Media player, Real player. DIVX but they all say format not recognized.

Any help please.

Ray

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Are you sure that they are avi files and not mov files? Quicktime or VLC player should play them. It might help to state which camera so that we can check file format.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

As said try VLC and more info. By the way AVI is not a format merely a container for numerous others that go under that

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again, sorry for the delay I was trying to get together more info but constant interruptions. So we have, Plug in camera and it shows as H drive

Click on it gives DCMI/100DSCIM/PICT0016 (for example could be any file)

It says on screen that this is an AVI file 1.05 mb

Click on it goes to DIVX which says unsupported format.

Right click gives me the options DIVX/Media Player/ Media Plater TM or Realplayer.

All error messages are wrong format or corrupted based.

I have four clips that will not play but on the same drive (mem card) there are twelve others that work OK

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

VLC, can someone give me a link please

Ray

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Use a tool called Gspot (Tells you which codec you need for the video and audio). I would also try to play it in VLC media player or GOM player

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have you tried double clicking the file

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You still haven't told us which camera. I expect it is a MOV file.

VLC - Google would have found it.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

hi all, ref VLC or GOM can anyone give me a link to download please, Woodchip, yes I did double click but I take your point it is often we overlook the obvious, well me especially. Thanks Ray

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Woolwell has just given you the link in the post above yours

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I have installed VLC, I think I crossed links with woolwells posting. VLC gives me these error messages.

File reading failure

No suitable decoder module or video format "undf"

AVI file index broken or missing.

The camera has no makers name on it, it came from china and is called "Road safety guard" Can be used in a car fixed to the windscreen not that I can see how this makes anything safer.

Ray

Ray

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer