We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Says it`s an AVI file but nothing will play it?

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I have taken some video clips on digital camera but cannot play them back. Click on properties shows them as AVI files or Windows Movies. Tried Nero, Media player, Real player. DIVX but they all say format not recognized.

Any help please.

Ray

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have found a camera called that on e-Bay, for under £20, and the video format should be AVI. Suspect that you may have a duff camera and it is not recording correctly. Does it play back on the "camera"?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try loading the Codec for your File.

Google Link

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link woodchip but which one should I go for? Tried two of them but my antivirus blasts in my face with a definite NO NO.

Woolwell, yes that will be the item, I do not know how to playback on the camera as I do not have an electron microscope to read the instructions or a Chinese interpreter to explain them.

I can read the last paragraph,

Small tip to save you big headache

A DVR is in a way similar to a computer. If the DVR hangs itself during operation. please follow the procedures below and most likely the DVR can be re-activated.

DVR will reset after press Reset Hole gently by diameter less than 1mm column.

Great so I would reset it if I knew where the reset hole is, I can`t find it nor can anyone else I have asked. Is is not shown in the "instruction" manual either.

I used to think that you get what you pay for but I could have bought this bought this from a retail outlet for twice the price and got exactly the same item from the same source.

I don`t care about the £20 nor can I be bothered to send it back. I doubt it is faulty. I hate being beaten by things like this, when I find out the answer I will kick myself for being so stupid but a lot of knowledge gained on the way.

Ray

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Probably off the wall - but the mention of DVR makes me wonder if it needs to be finalised.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Can you explain that please, had enough probs with the Chinese

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Try this link Click">http://www.spyshop911.com/fileuploader/download/download/?d=0&file=custom%252Fupload%252FFile-1311627692.pdf&ei=uSM0UJnJMsHH0QWT2IDoBQ&usg=AFQjCNGfcJn_nirWZ5kc2YtGZGz7r9v53w">Click here

Ray, If the Reset button doesn't work, can you upload the avi to google drive or similar, So We/I can try to see what will play it..

David.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

I'll try again (with tinyurl & Google) Click here

It's the first link ([PDF] Road Safety Guard)

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Got it, Magic..

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"All error messages are...........corrupted based..........I have four clips that will not play but on the same drive (mem card) there are twelve others that work OK..... VLC gives me these error messages....File reading failure....AVI file index broken or missing."

Ray, were all sixteen video clips created by the same camera? If they were then I don't see how it can be problem with the video format as you can play twelve of them. Or have I missed something somewhere?

It's possible those four files are corrupted in some way. Did you perhaps remove the card whilst the camera was still recording? It may help if you run a Windows disk check on the card:

Insert the card into your PC and open Computer (or My Computer). Right-click the card, choose "Properties", click the "Tools" tab, click the Error Checking "Check Now" button, make sure the top option is ticked then click its "Start" button.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...