We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Running a desktop from an external HDD

catpwss
Resolved

Likes # 0

HI.I'm thinking of transfering all my documents,music,photos,video to an external hdd,Due to a slight hickup with desktop,Running windows 7. Now is this a good or bad idea,Then all what would be on the C dice would be windows and all my programs etc. If its going to be a good idea what would be the best way to access the folders from the external hdd,Would it be possible to access then through the existing libraries in windows 7. I'm open to suggestions any help would be appreciated. Many Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes it would work that way however it may slow things up slightly depending on how you run the attached external drive.

USB2 would be slowest SATA or USB3 would be quicker

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Yea thanks,Would be possible to access the folders on the ext hdd through windows library if so can you please elaborate a little more if its possible. Thanks for the input.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Instead of transferring all the MY folders to an external HDD why not just install a internal HDD and move them to that. As I have a smallish (128GB) SSD I have done this. Only Windows 7 and programs are on the c drive everything else is on two 1TB drives which are internal. I have a third 1TB external HDD which I use fore backup.

This will show you have to move the My Documents folder but the same process applies to Music/videos/pictures.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Chronus.What would be the best way to access those items on the other drive,Would I be able to open them in the libraries under start?. Thanks for the info.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes libraries will access files on any drive whether internal or external an internal drive would be faster but your original Q was about external drives .

What was the problem you had before that prompted this question?

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Well my drive was getting a bit full,I had a lot of photos on there as I do a lot of photography etc.And of course I have a 5year old granddaughter must have thousands of her,Just needed a good sort out. I might put all my photos now on ext hdd and maybe my music. Things will look a lot better then.Thanks for your thoughts and help.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The answer to your question is yes, you would access them as if they were on the C drive via the libraries.

Like this post  
catpwss

Likes # 0

Gee thanks once again,I think that I would be totally lost and spending a lot of money if it wasn't for the great help I get on the forum. A big Thank you once again to all.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Chronus,Thought I'd give you an update,I transferred all my music And my pictures.All went well. Thanks.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Glad to hear it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more