We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

laptop not charging - could it be the motherboard?

vgibney

Likes # 0

Hi My 3-year old HP laptop has stopped charging and I was wondering if anyone could help me to understand the problem...

The original adapter it came with stopped working a while ago and so I bought a new one. Because the shop didn't have a compatible HP one I bought a universal one and that worked for several months, until my boyfriend ripped the cable out of the jack and as an immediate result it wasn't charging again. I tried buying another adapter (both HP and universal) but they didn't work. However, I could run the computer for a while just with the battery power. When that died, I took it to a local IT repair place, thinking that the problem would be the power jack. The man there says that the jack is well-connected and that the problem will be the motherboard because it doesn't turn on. What I wanted to know is this: is it possible that it's the motherboard? How?

Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The man, he talk with forked tongue. Take it elsewhere to have the power jack repaired or do it yourself.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Power-Jack-HP-G60-235DX-Notebook-PC/td-p/320061

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes most like power jack is detached from the board and / or requires replacing / resoldering.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If it were me, I would remove the HDD before leaving laptop in a shop for repair. It does not need the Hard drive in to get the power jack sorted out and battery charging up again (there is no need for them to boot up into your Operating System - the POST sequence and booting into the Bios is sufficient). I would not expose my data for all to look at in a repair shop. If they insist on having a HDD in they should have a spare of their own in their repair shop that they can put in.

Like this post
vgibney

Likes # 0

Thanks, so do you think the man is trying to rip me off?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Not necessarily - You could always get a 2nd opinion from another repair shop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made