We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet connection problem windows 7

KirstyK

Likes # 0

I am unable to connect to the internet from my computer; it says 'No internet access'. Other devices are OK, so I know the hub is OK (Virgin media broadband. Has anyone got any ideas? It says 'can't communicate with primary DNS server.' It suddenly stopped working. I was using it fine yesterday on facebook and was not doing anything unusual with it.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Try a System Restore back to when it was working ok.

Like this post
KirstyK

Likes # 0

Thanks, but would appreciate an alternative solution without having to do a restore, as no full back up done as lack of space on buffalo drive. It says 'dns server not connected' even when use ethernet cable.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

System restore does not delete any of your data (unlike a full restore).

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Try the advice on this link

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Superhub or what.The last time I had a DNS problem They had to send an engineer out to fix it. If connected by wireless try connecting it with an ethernet connection to see if it works with that.

laptop or desktop.

Or try their forum which is usually quite helpful or try phoning them on 150 it is free.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar and it should come up with a Virginmedia box just type the username and password into that then check that everything is working.

Username and password is admin and changeme.

Not quite sure what you should be looking for in my case I had no connection showing on it at all.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Jock1e - already stated has tried with ethernet cable.

Try flushing ips - Start - cmd in search box - select cmd then in the box ipconfig /flushdns

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell never noticed that.

It doesn't work with an ethernet connection or a Wireless connection his best bet would be to phone them up as they can sometimes fix it on the phone.

I had to phone them with the same problem recently and it took them about 5 days to get it fixed.

Not got the phone in the package I was going to say contact them on there forum but that is out if no connection.

If connected with a modem and a router turn both off for a minute,Turn the modem back on wait for another minute and turn the wireless on.

If a superhub just switch it off for a minute then switch it back on again and see if that makes any difference.

I believe the 192.168.0.1 in the address bar works whether you have an internet connection or not.So maybe give that a try.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

192.168.0.1 is the access to the router and should work without internet connection. If it doesn't then it means that the PC is failing to "talk" to the router and there could be a number of reasons for that.

Other devices are working ok indicates that it may not be a problem with the router. Try re-booting router.

No reply now for over 12 hours so perhaps problem is solved.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If using the Superhub it seems that there was an update for it which was causing problems.

This from the Forum.

maybe try it in modem mode using the ethernet connection or follow the fix at the bottom to see if that helps.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Wireless-Networking/No-wireless-or-wired-internet-on-Windows-7-PC-immediately-after/td-p/1414218

Woolwell

Maybe with no internet connection he cannot contact us.I am assuming it is a laptop as it worked in his parents house.Just a matter of waiting till he can get connected somewhere I suppose.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Game of Thrones VFX work wins Emmy for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...