We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identifying the manufacturer of a Motherboard

Abel
Resolved

Likes # 0

It’s me again, more trouble. For those interested see http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4161023/acronis-ti-backed-up-data-problem/ Is this the correct way to cross-refer?

Having described myself as a virtual Luddite unable to deal with anything electrical or mechanical, I’ve just discovered a case including a fitted motherboard, three memory slots containing two strips of 256Mb of memory, a processor and fan, together with a myriad of wires, one of which is of the SATA type. A barebones job I suppose? The case front is in the shape of a Porsche car and probably the reason I bought it. I don’t remember having a user manual for the motherboard which is where my problems start. I’ve gone over the motherboard quite carefully but can find no name of the manufacturer. Without the user manual I have absolutely no idea where all the wires plug-in. Have any of you an idea where I go next? I don’t suppose lotvic, woodchip or rdave13 will want to become involved, after their last marathon?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You would really only need a ATX board if you wanted to double up on the graphics cards or you needed several PCI slots available for add-on cards,sound card,TV card ETC ETC.

Do you mean this type of motherboard stand-off? If so the mobo should still be screw on to them. Or you can just break them out and use the more conventional metal stand-offs.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If this is of any help - fast forward to 4mins 15secs for removal of motherboard.

enter link description here

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The Board is a Gigabyte

Click Hear to check it out

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Same link as northumbria61 but fast forward to 5:15 which deals with the plastic stand-off's which you asked about.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The Board at the beginning of this thread uses a Athlon or Duron CPU so not of much use today unless you can get hold of a old CPU

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

woodchip, the board had a CPU and fan attached, but in view of its age I'm going to discard it. That is, unless there's one of these charitable organisations that could make use of it.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

I don't know what's happening this morning but the post I made acknowledging Chronus and northumbria61 don't appear on the site. Nevermind, the video was of interest in its entirety, and I'm a little wiser about the mobo stand-offs

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Not sure what you are trying to do?

if its up grade or just replace a faulty motherboard?

You might be better buying a motherboard bundle or even a bare bones system from somewhere like Novatech

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

If I'm honest Fruit Bat //0\ I'm trying to get up-and-running again as cheaply as possible. I'm not looking for the lowest denominator or the highest but somewhere in between. I've got a case and all the gubbins of the machine that went belly-up, referred to in my previous posts. At that time though we were unable to get two new SATA drives I'd bought to be recognised by the motherboard when all of a sudden, either the power supply switch or PSU stopped working. Since then, I've contemplated motherboard bundles and barebone machines but can't bring myself to discard what was working OK until frigging around with the new drives.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It gets to the stage when its not worth the effort or cost

when mobo is working you can keep a machine going by adding memory a bigger hard drive etc.

mobo failure is usually the final stage as often requires a new cpu, fan, and memory as well as replacement is impossible after more than a couple of years.

I scraped an Athlon board and just kept the PSU as a spare because I fiddle with the odd failure :0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...