We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identifying the manufacturer of a Motherboard

Abel
Resolved

Likes # 0

It’s me again, more trouble. For those interested see http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4161023/acronis-ti-backed-up-data-problem/ Is this the correct way to cross-refer?

Having described myself as a virtual Luddite unable to deal with anything electrical or mechanical, I’ve just discovered a case including a fitted motherboard, three memory slots containing two strips of 256Mb of memory, a processor and fan, together with a myriad of wires, one of which is of the SATA type. A barebones job I suppose? The case front is in the shape of a Porsche car and probably the reason I bought it. I don’t remember having a user manual for the motherboard which is where my problems start. I’ve gone over the motherboard quite carefully but can find no name of the manufacturer. Without the user manual I have absolutely no idea where all the wires plug-in. Have any of you an idea where I go next? I don’t suppose lotvic, woodchip or rdave13 will want to become involved, after their last marathon?

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Looking at the link Jock1e supplied and the comments made by the rest of you, the mobo just aint no good. Now comes a further problem, would someone please enlighten me about the various ‘form factors’ if that’s the right term. To keep the expense down I don’t want to buy a mobo to find, that for whatever reason, it doesn’t fit my case

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Looking at the link Jock1e supplied and the comments made by the rest of you, the mobo just aint no good. Now comes a further problem, would someone please enlighten me about the various ‘form factors’ if that’s the right term. To keep the expense down I don’t want to buy a mobo to find, that for whatever reason, it doesn’t fit my case

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Sorry! Double post again. Didn't see the 2nd page!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It is an Micro-ATX. So I am assuming that it is housed in a smaller sized case so you will not be able to fit the more normal sized ATX motherboards.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus! Do these various codes relate to particular sizes and if so,can you please educate me?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What codes are you talking about,I am not with you?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Comparison of mobo dimensions here but loads more info if you need it, just google 'mobo sizes'.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Chronus, the codes I mean are ATX etc. However, onthelimitt has provided the means to an answer. Good old Google, the font of all knowledge.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

onthelimitt, the link you gave me was very informative, as also was the suggestion to Google mobo sizes. Now, with all your help I've determined that I have an ATX case with a micro ATX fitted, which is very out-of-date.

Is there any benefit in having an ATX mobo compared with say a mini or micro one? By the way the present mobo appears to be mounted on little plastic jobbies. Is there a particular way of releasing the mobo from these, without using my ham fisted method?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The little plastic "jobbies" are know as standoffs - Standoffs are almost always hexhead screws. Just use a pair of pliers and unscrew them (on the outside of the case) Only on one occasion did I ever see standoffs that were actually riveted to the motherboard tray.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK