We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win7 Updates so many.

Nontek

Likes # 0

Getting used to Win7 now after XP, but there seems to be a never ending stream of updates, always in groups of three, an almost daily event.

Is everyone using Win7 getting the same?

Part of my updates list

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

No I don't get these updates but I don't run Defender or MSE.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

In a word NO - but do you have your Windows Updates to Automatically Download and Install? If so I would change that to give you more control.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Nontek - as per rdave13 I don't have Windows Defender or MSE and I think that is two programs that appear to get lots of updates.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Defender is disabled on my PC. MSE is not the problem (if there is a problem, which I doubt), but never had so many updates with XP.

All appear to install correctly, which begs the question - why me, and not you?

'Tis a new laptop from Novatech, excellent specs and absolutely running perfectly, so the many updates puzzle me, especially if it is just me!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Thanks to you both .... yes, I do have Auto Updates enabled, but surely changing that would not stop updates being offered?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

yes, I do have Auto Updates enabled, but surely changing that would not stop updates being offered?

No, but you would be able to choose which ones you want to install as you have Critical updates and Optional updates - optional ones for example for MS Office which I choose mainly to ignore.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4165993/win7-updates-so-many/#ixzz240cquxVq

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There is also the added advantage in my opinion that when manually installed and there is a problem it is easier to see which one it is.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

northumbria61

Thanks again - I have changed my update settings, so will see how it goes for a day or so.

Will report back!

Cheers.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

He he ... your 'Read more' link brings me back to my own thread!

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Looking at your "Part of my updates list" it is evident that you are installing the same updates each day.

As they report as having been successfully updated each time you don't need them again Using your new found "control" over the offer of updates right-click them and ask for them not to be offered again.

I am of course referring to those which are duplicated

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...