We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Trying again to load driver for my Canon scanner

Muergo
Resolved

Likes # 0

As Canon have still not issued a driver for my Canon D2400U scanner, the advice I was given here a while ago was to download the Vista version as that would run on Windows7.

I have done that but can't get my Windows7 Home premium edition to recognise or load the driver.

Trying to run in compatibility mode, do I choose compatible for Vista or for W7 ?

Is all of this done from Control Panel or Printers and Drivers.

I have the scanner switched on and pluggged into a spare USB.

It's a hot day and brain is not working very well, please give me step by step details to get this scanner operating or I will have to buy a new one!!!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Compatible with Vista, have a look here, you'll need Silverlight to see the video.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just a thought, does the scanner show up in Devices and Printers? If so try right clicking it and select scan.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"......download the Vista version as that would run on Windows7."

What did you download exactly and where from? A link would be especially helpful.

Secondly, are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Win 7? If you don't know then you can find that info via Start -> Control Panel -> System -> report back what it says for "System Type".

Unfortunately, compatibility mode will never work with drivers.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Driver downloaded from Canon own website. I'm running 32 bit W7 Scanner shows up on Devices etc and has a yellow alert triangle.

I've run the Troubleshoot scan for drivers and it says no drivers on my PC but I have a successful download of the Vista driver.

"Compatibility mode won't work for drivers?? I have a response from an MVP guy on Microsoft help which says Vista driver will work on W7 but gives no more details.

I've just tried putting the scanner onto a different USB socket but no difference.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Driver downloaded from Canon own website."

Was it this one? If not then download it and double-click the file to start the installation.

" I'm running 32 bit W7"

That's a relief. Because Vista and Windows 7 are so closely related, that Vista 32-bit driver should work fine on your system with no tweaking required. If you had the more common 64-bit version of 7 then you'd never be able to get that Vista driver working.

""Compatibility mode won't work for drivers??"

That's correct - it's designed to work with programs designed for older operating systems.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Why do you say installing driver won't work in compatibility mode, the Microsoft Answers sent this==

Sign out

United States (English)

muergo

HomeWindows 8Windows 7Windows VistaWindows XPMDOPWindows IntuneLibraryForums

Windows Client >

Windows 7 IT Pro Forums>

Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility>

HOW TO: Install a Hardware Device Driver using Compatibility Mode

Ask a question

Alert Me

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 7:19 PM

Ronnie Vernon

(Partner, MVP) 22,839 Points

0 Already Voted

COMPATIBILITY HARDWARE DEVICE DRIVERS:

1. Place the driver installation file on the Desktop.

2. Right Click the driver installation file and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Select the appropriate options in from the list in the following image.

3. Click Apply/OK.

4. Right Click the file and select the Run As Administrator option to install.

I also recommend that you contact the maker of that hardware device and inquire about future driver support for Windows 7. Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP Changed TypeRonnie VernonMVP, ModeratorWednesday, July 01, 2009 7:19 PM Edited byRonnie VernonMVP, ModeratorWednesday, July 01, 2009 10:26 PM

muergo

0 Points000

muergo's threadsView Profile

My Forum Links My Settings My Profile My Threads My Alerts My Forums Forums Home Browse Forums Users

Related Topics

= Unanswered = Answered

Windows XP Drivers in Compatibility Mode on Windows 7 old canoscan d660u scanner works -> or does it... HOW TO: Install a Software Application using Compatibility Mode CardScan Software and Scanner - Microsoft Corporation: Software ... Can't open ACPI ATK0100 Kernel Mode Driver HP Touchpad - Microsoft Corporation: Software, Smartphones, Online ... I need help for windows 7 x64 bit driver for Canon LBP_810. Canon ... Atheros AR5007UG wireless network adapter SCSI Hard Disk compatibility - Microsoft Corporation: Software ... driver sound blaster live value for windows 7

Statistics Started: 7/1/2009 Helpful Votes: 0 Replies: 0 Views: 299,094 Frequently asked questions - Forums help

© 2012 Microsoft. All rights reserved.

Manage Your Profile|Newsletter|Contact Us|Privacy Statement|Terms of Use|Trademarks|Site Feedback

TechNet Products Resources Downloads Support

Sign out

United States (English)

muergo

HomeWindows 8Windows 7Windows VistaWindows XPMDOPWindows IntuneLibraryForums

Windows Client >

Windows 7 IT Pro Forums>

Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility>

Ask a question

Alert Me

Wednesday, July 01, 2009 7:19 PM

Ronnie Vernon

(Partner, MVP) 22,839 Points

0 Already Voted

COMPATIBILITY HARDWARE DEVICE DRIVERS:

1. Place the driver installation file on the Desktop.

2. Right Click the driver installation file and select Properties/Compatibility Tab. Select the appropriate options in from the list in the following image.

3. Click Apply/OK.

4. Right Click the file and select the Run As Administrator option to install.

I also recommend that you contact the maker of that hardware device and inquire about future driver support for Windows 7. Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP Changed TypeRonnie VernonMVP, ModeratorWednesday, July 01, 2009 7:19 PM Edited byRonnie VernonMVP, ModeratorWednesday, July 01, 2009 10:26 PM

muergo

0 Points000

muergo's threadsView Profile

My Forum Links My Settings My Profile My Threads My Alerts My Forums Forums Home Browse Forums Users