We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP pavillion desktop recovery media on flash drive, empty folder!

Sapins

Likes # 0

My wife bought the above computer and we bought a 32gb flash drive to create the recovery media to. According to the instructions everything recorded as it should so I decided to take a copy of the flash drive to an external drive, I then found that the flash drive folder was showing empty although on My Computer 10gb has been used! Is this to prevent taking a copy or is the recording faulty?

I understand that you can only copy this recovery media once so I don't want to mess about with he flash drive.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Not sure about this one. I know that HP recovery won't accept RW DVDs for obvious reasons and an USB flash drive is rewritable.To be on the safe side can you restore to an earlier time to create the 5 or so DVDs restore to factory settings discs? Once you have them, and verified, then you could play about with the Flash drive. If you have Acronis or Paragon HD Manager YOU SHOULD ALSO CREATE AN IMAGE ON AN EXTERNAL DRIVE.Have a look at the info on your PC about how to restore to factory setting(usually called restore manager or similar) using the restore partition if you have no system restore points.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

rdave13,

Thanks for your reply, i have just checked the flash drive in the HP computer, it shows the recovery folder and it says only one copy can be made on this computer, and warns "a copy of the data has been made, do not delete any of the files on this drive" So it looks like it has copied correctly and it can only be "seen" on this computer. I will contact HP to confirm this and I will also install Acronis to make an image on an external drive.

Thanks again for your help,

Regards,

Sapins.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen