We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

differing BB speeds with different routers

awest3

Likes # 0

Just trying to understand this. I have a dsg934 netgear router from which I get 2.62mb download speed. I thought I'd try one of the newer routers called a sagecom packf@st 2304n however on connecting this I find my download speed has dropped to 1.5mb. I had the opportunity to try a couple more of these new routers and again only got 1.5mb. I've just tried an older Dlink router and again get 1.5mb. As soon as I put the neatgear router back in I'm back to 2.62mb. I've checked the speeds using a couple of the usual speed checkers each time. My understandiing of networks must be lacking somehwere as I did not think the router should affect the BB speed i get other than that due to the speed of the router itself 54 or 108.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Not all Routers are Equal. And settings in them will need changing to suit your setup to get the best from them

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

My speeds on the 3Com are Download 7234 kbps on a old Win98 wired connection and upload is 689 kbps On a 8Meg TT speed I get faster speeds on My Laptop using same router but WiFi

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This link woodchip?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Different router's may work in different ways, and this can upset some speeds, depending on chipsets in the router's.

I have lost the link to a very good information article about this, but it suggested that with LLU's, it might be a case of getting the correct router to improve better performance, if there are any problems of speed or disconnections.

There is a wealth of information via this link, regarding broadband equipment etc http://www.kitz.co.uk but be prepared for a heavy read into the subject.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......