We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Am I Losing my Hard Drive?

sorceror7374

Likes # 0

I recently started having i/o errors relating to one of my internal hard drives when using a torrent program. After which the file system wouldn't read the drive. The next morning after switching on the drive read fine so I quickly went about moving everything off of it. The drive would again fail after a while and I would repeat the process the each morning until I had everything off of it. I did notice that a few files took a very long time to transfer as it was obviously having problems.

Does this sound like the hard drive is completely dying or would a hard drive scan blocking off bad sectors allow me to keep using it?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I would play safe and replace the drive.I think you have had plenty of warning that you have problems with it and to be honest it is not worth the risk. Keep it as a spare by all means and play around with it but in my opinion it is not worth the risk using it regularly.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I agree with Chronus. I use SpeedFan as a general check on hard drives. Under the S.M.A.R.T. tab, select the drive. It will show the fitness and performance at the bottom. Just hover the mouse cursor for the percentages. You can run a short test but I prefer the Perform an in-depth online analysis of this disk. A new page opens with the recommendations for the drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers