We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem card reader on a Toshiba A300-1MC

eysha1

Likes # 0

I have been into the device manager and it shows a yellow question mark against th Ricoh xD card disk device. I checked for updates and i am all up to date on everything. I would love to get it working again so i can see the photographs i take. Any help advice would be great. Maybe there is a link i have missed somewhere while looking for a device update or something. If there is somewhere to download something please send the exact link. Many thanks. E.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I can only suggest going into device manager and removing the card reader driver then downloading and installing whichever one you need from here.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Found the driver i need but cannot seem to get it into the device manager so need help there please. Not done this before so lost on this bit. Instructions please. Many thanks E.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look here. I've downloaded the win 7 64-bit zip file and scanned it. All clear.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Usually you just extract it and run the file.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

I did extract it and tried to run it but maybe i am doing something wrong as it isn't working - HELP.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Where did you get this driver? You can go to Device manager,right click Ricoh xD, select update driver software, then select Browse my computer for driver software. The site I posted to for the driver has virus free downloads as to the 64-bit I downloaded. Have you checked your file for potential malware/virus ?

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

i went to the site you said and downloaded it, still no good. I also went to device manager and it tells me it is updated so no new ones available. The card reader still isn't working and there is still a yellow question mark on the Ricoh card reader device.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

OK. Make sure you safely remove any external drives you have connected to your PC including flash drives or any backup hard drives. Once done go back to device manager and right click Ricoh xD . Select uninstall. Click on yes to remove. Reboot the PC and once on the desktop you should see Windows installing the generic driver for your card reader. See if it now works. If it does then make sure Windows updates does not update the driver for it automatically.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave. I followed your instructions and downloaded it from the same site as you then uninstalled it in device manager and re-started the laptop as you said. However, going back into the device manager to check it all again i found exactly the same fauly as described above, a yellow question mark on the RICOH xD card eader device. Any idea why this is happening? I am lost.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

" .......a yellow question mark on the RICOH xD card eader device."

It would be good to discover what the problem is exactly so double-click on that problem Device Manager entry and let us know what the error details are. If there's an error code shown then let us know that too.

When you reply, let us know which version of Windows you're running. It's probably the 32-bit version of Vista but it may help to get confirmation.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'