We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Write to NAS via Ethernet slower than via wifi

spenko

Likes # 0

I have a Win7 64bit laptop connected to my home network by both 85 mps Netgear Powerline and wifi. On the network are mt BT Homehub router and an Iomega Home Media NAS. when trying to backup photo files (5+ mb) from laptop to NAS I find the write speed become so slow as to be unuseable via Ethernet.

Speeds (Mbps) obtained: Write Read Connection 8.5 8.9 wifi 0.2 13.8 ethernet & wifi 0.2 14.5 ethernet

In desperation, I have tried upgrading firmware (currently 2.040) but the NAS seems unwilling to do this. I have also reset the router -- all to no avail.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The first test I'd be inclined to try is to connect the Laptop directly to the NAS box by ethernet, missing out the router and PowerLine adapters to see what sort of performance that gives. Then, by process of elimination, see if the router or PowerLine adapters are degrading the transfer speeds.

Like this post
spenko

Likes # 0

Thanks. Write speed the same. Rad speed about 100 mps

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days