We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

why cant I log on to PCadvisor from IE on windows xp laptop?

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 0

I can log on to pcadvisor.co.uk from my vista laptop using IE browser (takes time loading but does get there) but on my XP latop I get the home page of PCadvisor then when trying to log on to the site it brings up a page with a top ad. banner but wont load the page properly, any ideas?? I loaded google chrome browser on that CP laptop and I can get into PCadvisor with a google chrome browser but not on IE, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you updated from IE6 to IE8? since you reset the laptop?

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Im not sure, how do I check what IE I am running? if I download IE 8 will it overwrite the current IE I am running? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Open IE and click Help menu - select About Internet Explorer and it will tell you the version

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Download and install IE8 from here - yes it will overwrite IE6 (or IE7)

IE8 download

Like this post  
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I am trying to download IE8 right now on the XP laptop, from the Microsoft UK website, it came up that it detected that I have recently installed SP3 and that if I continue I wont be able to uninstall IE8, so I clicked OK and now it is saying "downloading" with a "speedo" type bar with the dots running on and on, its been like this for over 10 mins, is this normal?? should I just leave it?? it didnt take anywhere near this long to download google chrome?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

It is quite a lengthy installation - stick with it.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

It seems to have downloaded now and have restarted, will see what happens now...... LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

HURRAH, HURRAH!!! Yes, its all downloaded and I am no on the PCadvisor site from the XP laptop with the IE8 downloaded!! thanks alot!!! LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Glad to know all is now well

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Hi, Sea Urchin, Yes, I think I will keep this XP laptop after all, the family member I was going to give it to has got a Apple computer (in debt on a credit card!!) so I will keep this one as it seems to be working just great now!! thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund