We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Setting time stamp on video camera?

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I have a cheapo little keyring camera which works quite well but I cannot set the time on it. The instructions read as follows.

"To set the time correctly:

Connect the keychain camera to your computer via USB cable Create a TAG.txt file at the root directory of the Memory Disk, type the three line of text in this blank file just like below: [date] 2012/01/01 12.00.00

Save the file and quit. Unplug camera from computer. Turn on the camera, then turn off the camera, When you do this the camera reads the time.txt file, sets the time/date on the camera according towhat you typed in the file and then erases the time.txt file"

Can someone clarify this for me please. Where do I create the TAG file on the PC or the camera and if the camera how? If it is on the PC then how can the camera read it if unplugged.

Ray

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"Create a TAG.txt file at the root directory of the Memory Disk". The memory disk is your camera or disk in it.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell, I guessed it had to be on the camera but how do I do this? Camera is drive G;

click on G gives folder DCIM

click on that gives folder 100MEDIA

click on that gives photo and video files which I can play.

How do I create a TAG.txt file, I can see no options for creating a new file or folder.

Ray

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The root directory is G and you should not need to enter DCIM, etc. I've not created a tag file for a camera. You can create a txt file using Word and saving as a plain text document or WordPad again saving as plain text. I think that what the instructions are asking you to do is create a plain text document with the text of date and time, saved as TAG.txt and then copied and pasted into camera.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks again, I will give that a try.

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Done it at last, could not use cut & paste but drag and drop worked in Windows Explorer.

Thanks for your advice Woolwell it was most helpful.

Ray

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Assume that the time is now correct. Thanks for the feedback. BTW try to avoid using cut and paste with important files. Use copy and paste and you still have the original if anything goes wrong. You can always then delete the original.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...